Food festival held in remote Himachal valleyMay 10th, 2008 - 7:23 pm ICT by admin
Shimla, May 10 (IANS) The first ever two-day food festival that ended Saturday in Himachal Pradesh’s scenic Sangla valley bordering Tibet attracted hundreds of tribals and tourists. The event was organised by the Himalayan Research Group (HRG) and the Sangla Valley Sustainable Development Society (SVSDS), two NGOs based in the Sangla valley, located some 250 km from here.
The festival was sponsored by the Switzerland-based Research Institute of Organic Agriculture.
“Our attempt has been to promote household tourism and to show visitors our unique way of life, which not only helps preserve our heritage but also provide other means of livelihood,” said Vidya Karan Negi, chief of SVSDS.
“We hope the food festival has made a start in popularising the unique cuisine and culture of the Sangla valley and enabled locals to popularise traditional agriculture crops by organic means,” said Negi.
The community lunch prepared by the tribal women, trained in modern hospitality by the Palampur Agriculture University, was most popular, said the organisers.
Tribals dressed in traditional attire danced and sang folk songs. Many foreigners also attended the festival.
- Home stays and agro tourism, Sangla Valley shows way (IANS Travel) - May 19, 2010
- Himachal Pradesh eyes household tourism - Jun 29, 2009
- Kinnaur tribals throw doors open for city slickers - Jun 11, 2009
- Eco lessons for India from Himachal Pradesh (Postcard from Kinnaur) - Sep 21, 2012
- Tribal festival enthralls people in Himachal's Kinnaur valley - Nov 04, 2009
- 'Karbi Festival' to promote development in Assam - Jan 14, 2011
- Karbi Anglong's Ronthean Festival promoting a unique Assamese lifestyle - Dec 07, 2010
- Tourists throng Himachal - to milk cows, pluck vegetables - Apr 21, 2011
- Chefs to churn out dishes at UAE date fest - Nov 19, 2011
- Ahmedabad hosts traditional food festival - Dec 20, 2010
- Tribal festival showcases Assam's ethnic culture - Oct 12, 2009
- Kinnauri cuisine, a major hit at the tourism festival in Himachal - May 15, 2008
- 2nd Chinjak food festival kick starts in Imphal - Nov 29, 2009
- Little Bengal in a Mumbai school (With Images) - Jan 02, 2012
- UN accolade for Odisha tribals' green farming (With Images) - Jan 05, 2012