Fog delays 15 flights at Delhi airportDecember 11th, 2008 - 12:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 11 (IANS) A flight had to be cancelled, another diverted and yet another 15 flights were delayed as a thick fog set in the capital Thursday morning, dipping the runway visibility at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA).An IGIA official told IANS that the runway visibility, although improving now, had dipped to as low as 400 metres early in the morning, much below the required 750 metres, thus affecting the flight schedules.
“The runway visibility after 6.54 a.m. had dropped to 450 metres and went lower to 400 metres. That delayed at least 15 flights. A Mumbai-Delhi Spicejet flight had to be diverted to Jaipur for the same reason,” the official said.
The delays, the official added, were for a maximum 45 minutes. A Jet Airways Amritsar bound flight from Delhi was also cancelled.
“The visibility has now risen to 1,000 metres and is improving,” he said.
Airport officials Wednesday said the third runway at IGIA had been equipped with surface movement radars that are essential in low visibility conditions but they were yet to get permission to operate the equipment.
Last week, Arun Arora, associate vice-president (corporate communications) of Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL), said the radars were undergoing trial and efforts were being made to get them installed before fog sets in. He also stated that everything was being done to lessen the impact of the fog.
DIAL, which runs the Delhi airport, had asked the airlines to ensure that CAT IIIB trained pilots are employed on Delhi-bound flights. CAT IIIB is a device that helps pilots locate runways even in extremely low visibility conditions.
- Patel blames heavy fog for flight delays - Dec 27, 2010
- Curbs on aircraft to check flight delays in Delhi (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- New rules to mitigate fog-related flight disruptions - Dec 26, 2010
- Heavy fog delays many flights at Delhi airport - Dec 25, 2010
- Heavy fog delays flights at IGI airport (Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- Fogy morning gives way to bright day, cloudy Wednesday likely (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Heavy fog delays flights at IGI (Second Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- Fog disrupts flight operations at Delhi airport (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Capital shivers, fog disrupts trains, flights (Third Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- One flight diverted from Delhi airport due to fog (Second Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- One flight diverted from Delhi airport due to fog (Lead, superseding earlier) - Jan 08, 2011
- Fog hits Delhi, disrupts flights, trains (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Delhi airport gears to tackle foggy winter - Dec 20, 2011
- Flights hit as fog engulfs Delhi airport again - Jan 31, 2011
- Dense fog affects road, rail, air traffic (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011