Fog blinds Delhi, stifles traffic on New YearJanuary 1st, 2009 - 12:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 1 (IANS) Confounding the predictions of the weatherman, a thick fog enveloped the capital Thursday morning. While a large number of flights and trains were delayed or cancelled, road traffic moved at snail’s pace as visibility dropped to 50 metres.“The general visibility was 50 metres. Thankfully, however, runway visibility hovered between 150 and 250 metres. Some flights have taken off as scheduled, but most have been delayed or cancelled,” an official at the capital’s Indira Gandhi International Airport told IANS.
At least nine domestic flights were cancelled and eight were delayed. Four international flights were also delayed.
Vehicular traffic also moved at a sluggish pace due to the thick fog. However, no road accidents attributed to the fog were reported Thursday morning.
Joint Commissioner (Traffic) S.M. Srivastava told IANS that the full force was working to ease the traffic situation.
“Our force is limited but has been working around the clock since yesterday. A majority of the personnel worked till 2 a.m. and people were deployed to tackle the morning fog. Those who had worked late will return to work by noon,” he said.
“Since a majority of people were awake through the night, the traffic is thinner this morning. But yes, the little traffic is moving slow,” Srivastava added.
Many trains to and from the capital were also running late as much of northern India was covered by fog.
While the minimum temperature Thursday morning was recorded at 8.5 degrees, the next few days are likely to see a dip in the minimum temperatures by three degrees, an official from the Safdarjung meteorological office said.
“The maximum daytime temperatures have already dropped to 16 degrees Celsius from 20.8 degree Celsius in just two days, the chill is still setting in,” the met official added.
- Fog grips Delhi; air, rail traffic hit (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Dense fog affects road, rail, air traffic (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- North India reels under severe cold, dense fog (Roundup) - Jan 20, 2012
- Fog affects 47 trains (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Trains, flights disrupted as fog blinds Delhi (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Fog, chilly winds envelop capital, traffic hit (Second Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Dense fog hits hard Delhi, north India (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2010
- Fog disrupts flight operations at Delhi airport (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- North India reels under cold onslaught (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- Fog, chilly winds envelop capital, over 200 flights disrupted (Third Lead) - Jan 21, 2012
- Thick fog envelops chilly Delhi, commuters hit - Jan 18, 2012
- Dense fog hits normal life, disrupts air-rail services in Delhi - Jan 08, 2011
- Dense fog engulfs Delhi, affects commuters - Dec 30, 2011
- Fog hits air, rail traffic in Delhi (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Fog hits commuters, light rain likely on New Year's Day (Second Lead) - Dec 31, 2011