Fog affects life in Punjab, HaryanaDecember 20th, 2011 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 20 (IANS) Fog and cold wave conditions continued to affect normal life in Punjab and Haryana Tuesday.
Thick fog engulfed most parts of Haryana, affecting road and rail traffic. Most trains ran two to six hours behind schedule, officials said.
Flights on the Delhi-Chandigarh-Delhi sector were hit. Some were cancelled.
Gurgaon-based entrepreneur Sandeep Brar, whose Chandigarh-Delhi flight Monday evening was cancelled, had to travel to Delhi by road.
“We took nearly 10 hours to reach Gurgaon from Chandigarh by taxi. Visibility was zero on most part of National Highway,” Brar told IANS from Gurgaon in Haryana.
Roadways staff in Chandigarh said buses were taking two to four hours extra to reach their destinations in the evening and night due to thick fog.
The cold wave continued to persist over Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh even though minimum temperatures were 1-2 degrees higher Tuesday compared to last three-four days.
While Chandigarh recorded a low of 7.2 degrees, Amritsar and Patiala were at 7.4 and 6.2 degrees respectively, a Met official said.
- Biting cold thaws a little, but fog disrupts travel (Roundup) - Dec 20, 2011
- Maximum temperatures dip in Punjab, Haryana - Jan 04, 2012
- North India reels under cold onslaught (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- North India reels under severe cold, dense fog (Roundup) - Jan 20, 2012
- Fog derails train services as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Dec 22, 2011
- Some respite from chill, train services still fog-hit (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- 12 die in UP, Bhopal sees frost as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana fogged out, no flights from Chandigarh (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Dense fog hits hard Delhi, north India (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2010
- Panjab, Haryana face fog chaos - Dec 27, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana fogged out - Jan 05, 2011
- Dense fog in north India hits air, rail services; three train accidents (Roundup) - Jan 02, 2010
- Fog returns in Chandigarh, mercury below normal - Jan 12, 2011
- Northern grid trips, train traffic hit (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Trains, flights disrupted as fog blinds Delhi (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011