Fodder scam: 34 get 1 to 6 yearsMay 5th, 2012 - 2:47 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 5 (IANS) A CBI court Saturday awarded one to six years imprisonment to 34 people in a multi-million animal husbandry department scam known as the fodder scam.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court of D.C. Ray also slapped fines of Rs.10,000 to Rs.300,000 on the convicts.
The case relates to the illegal withdrawal of more than Rs.6 crore from the Doranda treasury in Ranchi in the 1980s.
Of the 34, 12 are animal husbandry department officials and 16 are fodder suppliers.
There were 54 accused in the case, of which 17 died during the trial, one turned approver for the CBI while two are absconding.
A CBI court Thursday convicted 69 people in another case related to the fodder scam.
Former Bihar chief ministers Lalu Prasad and Jaggnath Mishra are among the accused in five cases related to the scam.
Their trial is on in CBI courts in Ranchi. Lalu Prasad had to quit the chief minister’s post in 1997 after an arrest warrant was issued against him.
The fodder scam hit the headlines in the 1990s in Bihar where officials and politicians were accused of embezzling crores of rupees of public money.
- 69 convicted in fodder scam - May 03, 2012
- Lalu and Mishra appear in CBI court on fodder scam case - Feb 14, 2012
- Fodder scam: Petition filed to make Nitish Kumar an accused - Sep 07, 2012
- Fodder scam: 64 convicts get jail terms in one case (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- 26 get 1-5 years' jail terms for fodder scam - Feb 02, 2012
- 12 officials get five years' jail in fodder scam case - Dec 02, 2010
- Fodder scam case: Lalu to appear in court Tuesday (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Lalu, Mishra deny charges in fodder scam case (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- 61 convicted in fodder scam case - Jan 16, 2012
- 64 people sentenced in fodder scam (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Paswan wants Nitish Kumar to quit over fodder scam - Sep 08, 2012
- 4 to 7 years' jail for 40 convicted in fodder scam case - May 07, 2012
- Ranchi court convicts 64 in fodder scam - Jan 31, 2012
- Fodder scam: Key facts - Jan 31, 2012
- Fodder scam: Lalu, Jagannath statements to be recorded - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: 1980s, 1990s, 6 years, animal husbandry, arrest warrant, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, chief ministers, convicts, crore, crores, department officials, fodder scam, imprisonment, lalu prasad, mishra, public money, rs 6, rupees