Focus now on post-quake resettlement, reconstruction: ChinaMay 25th, 2008 - 4:39 pm ICT by admin
Chengdu (China), May 25 (Xinhua) Chinese premier Wen Jiabao has said the government would gradually shift its focus on resettlement of the quake victims and reconstruction of the ravaged areas to help people resume normal activities in the next three months. Wen told Chinese and foreign reporters at a resettlement site in Yingxiu town, one of the worst-hit areas in the May 12 quake, that while rescue and relief operations would continue, the focus would be on post-quake reconstruction.
The biggest problem was arranging shelter for stricken people, said Wen, who was paying a second visit to quake-hit Sichuan province, adding that some 15 million rooms had been destroyed in the earthquake.
The government has ordered tent manufacturers to produce and transport 30,000 tents to the quake zone each day and 900,000 within a month, Wen said.
The production of movable plank houses should also be accelerated to ensure the quake-affected people resume a normal activities within three months, Wen added.
The government was taking measures to ensure that no epidemic broke out in the backlash of the quake, he said, adding that adequate epidemic prevention staff and medicine supply were being ensured.
Wen said another problem confronting the quake-relief workers was prevention of secondary disasters the possibilities of which still existed. Quake-formed lakes are the most serious among them, he said.
“We will take effective measures to eradicate safety hazards to ensure zero casualty in possible secondary disasters,” Wen said.