Flourescent lamps hurt eyesOctober 23rd, 2011 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Oct 23 (IANS) You may be using fluorescent globes instead of filament bulbs to beat climate change but it could be increasing chances of eye diseases, new research says.
“Many people worldwide are exposed to artificial light sources at home and at work which until recently, mainly entailed incandescent lighting,” Helen Walls, who led the study at the Australian National University.
A team of Australian researchers found that fluorescent lighting may cause a 12 percent rise in ultaviolet (UV) rays related eye diseases besides an extra 3,000 cataract cases and 7,500 cases of pterygia each year in Australia alone.
A pterygium is a non-cancerous growth of the clear, thin tissue (conjunctiva) that lays over the white part of the eye (sclera).
“The shift to fluorescent lighting means those people are now being exposed to ultraviolet radiation, which is compounded by increasing urbanization and workers spending more of their work time in buildings instead of fields or other outside locations,” said Walls, according to statement from the university.
“The replacement of incandescent lamps with fluorescent lighting will lead to significant reductions in greenhouse gases, however, such shifts may increase the population burden of eye disease,” Halls added.
UV radiation has been considered a cause of cataracts and pterygia because the photoreceptors in the retina are susceptible to damage by light.
- New treatment for eye patients - May 26, 2012
- Compact fluorescent energy saving lamp 'better than incandescent bulbs' - Oct 23, 2010
- Energy saving bulbs could bring on breast cancer - Jan 31, 2011
- 'Red eyed' people perceived as sad and unattractive - Apr 08, 2011
- Energy saving light bulbs may be cancer causing - Apr 21, 2011
- Energy-consuming light bulbs to go out in Hong Kong - Aug 15, 2011
- Night blindness cured in mice with special cells - Apr 19, 2012
- UV-blocking contact lenses can protect eyes from sun damage - Jan 27, 2010
- Eye operation helps blind Briton to see - May 04, 2012
- Delhi offers concession on LED bulbs - Jul 20, 2012
- Strawberry extract protects skin against UV rays - Aug 05, 2012
- Near infra-red light can heal damaged vision - Apr 20, 2011
- LED bulbs to sell cheap in Delhi (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Arctic ozone layer depleted by 40 percent: Experts - Apr 06, 2011
- UV light good for veggies - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: artificial light sources, australian researchers, cancerous growth, climate change, conjunctiva, extra 3, eye disease, eye diseases, filament bulbs, flourescent lamps, greenhouse gases, incandescent lamps, incandescent lighting, photoreceptors, pterygia, pterygium, thin tissue, ultraviolet radiation, uv radiation, work time