Floods claim seven lives in Uttar PradeshAugust 20th, 2009 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 20 (IANS) At least seven people, including three children, have been killed in floods in Uttar Pradesh triggered by heavy rains and the release of a huge amount of water from barrages in Nepal, officials said Thursday.
While the casualties were reported from Bahraich and Lakhimpur districts in the last two days, floods have also inundated villages in Shrawasti, Sitapur, Sant Kabir Nagar, Kushinagar and Maharajganj districts.
According to officials, since Monday 500,000 cusecs of water have been released from Banbasa and other barrages situated near the India-Nepal border.
“According to reports reaching us, four people were killed in drowning incidents and house collapses caused by floods in Mahsi town of Bahraich district,” district magistrate Subash Sharma told IANS over phone.
In Bahraich district, rivers flowing in spate have inundated as many as 185 villages affecting nearly 300,000 people. Taking into account the rising water in Saryu, Ghagra and Sharda rivers, the district administration in Bahraich, 270 km from Lucknow, has started evacuating villages.
In Lakhimpur Kheri district, floods have claimed three lives. “Three children drowned in Palia town in Lakhimpur, where as many as 200 villages have been affected by floods,” said district magistrate Sameer Verma.
“With the help of PAC (Provincial Armed Constabulary) personnel, we are carrying out relief operations in the district, where the water level in the Sharda river is witnessing a rising trend,” he added.
According to officials, in Shrawasti district, Rapti and Saryu rivers are flowing above the danger mark. The situation is more or less similar for Ghagra river in Sitapur district, Rapti in Sant Kabir Nagar, Gandak in Kushinagar and Rohni in Maharajganj.
- Hundreds of villages flooded in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 19, 2009
- Seven UP rivers in spate - Aug 08, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate - Jul 01, 2011
- UP government distributes relief material to flood affected - Aug 23, 2009
- Rains to slow, flooding rivers will recede - Jul 30, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate, situation alarming - Aug 25, 2010
- Rivers near danger mark in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 16, 2012
- Floods threaten large swathes of north India (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- Four kids killed in house collapse in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 26, 2010
- Crocodile kills minor in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 16, 2011
- 'Poorly trained troopers responsible for villagers' killing' - Aug 03, 2010
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- Nepal on vigil as rains lash 'Bihar's sorrow' Kosi - Jun 30, 2011
- Floods affect over 30,000 in Assam - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: bahraich, barrages, cusecs, danger mark, district administration, district magistrate, drowning incidents, ghagra, heavy rains, kheri district, kushinagar, rapti, relief operations, rising water, sant kabir, seven lives, sharda, sitapur, spate, water level