Flooded lignite mines may worsen Tamil Nadu’s power situationNovember 24th, 2008 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
Neyveli (Tamil Nadu), Nov 24 (IANS) Power generation at three thermal units of the state-run Neyveli Lignite Corporation here might be affected as floodwaters have entered two lignite mines, crimping the fuel supply, officials said Monday.Though the extent of the ensuing shortfall was not immediately clear, production could fall by at least 15 percent, they said.
Already reeling from a shortfall of roughly 1,400 MW, Tamil Nadu may see the power shortage worsening, resulting in additional load-shedding till the floodwater is pumped out, they added.
Since the balance of over 1,200 MW of electricity generated here is fed into the southern power grid, the supply of energy to the other three south Indian states and the union territory of Puducherry may also be affected.
Thirteen districts in Tamil Nadu have received incessant rainfall since Sunday afternoon.
Neyveli Lignite, situated at this town some 200 km south of state capital Chennai, has an installed capacity of 2,490 MW of electricity produced by firing roughly 24 million tonnes of lignite mined from three open pit mines.
- Neyveli Lignite to add 250 MW power this fiscal - Dec 24, 2011
- Techincal problems continue to dog Neyveli lignite unit - Apr 10, 2012
- Jayalalithaa asks Prime Minister for power from central pool - Jun 06, 2011
- BHEL looks at South African market for CFBC boilers - Jan 31, 2012
- Neyveli Lignite to go alone on Gujarat power project - May 27, 2011
- Neyveli Lignite blames BHEL for production hitch - May 28, 2011
- Pakistan power shortfall reaches 6,000 MW - May 27, 2012
- Neyveli Lignite's 250 MW boiler operating at full load - Feb 07, 2012
- Neyveli Lignite to expand its thermal power projects in Tamil Nadu - Jan 10, 2012
- Neyveli Lignite to power capacity to 4,640 MW by 2015 - Jul 08, 2011
- BHEL to commission piping plant in Tamil Nadu in April - Jan 30, 2012
- Neyveli Lignite set to light 250 MW unit - Nov 21, 2011
- Neyveli Lignite Corp to add 1,000 MW this fiscal - May 28, 2012
- Tamil Nadu will not have power cuts by 2011-12: Minister - May 07, 2010
- Bharat Heavy Electricals dismisses Neyveli Lignite's charges - May 29, 2011