Flood waters recede in West BengalJune 24th, 2008 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 24 (IANS) Flood waters in West Bengal were receding Tuesday after claiming 35 lives, but several areas of East Midnapore district were still under a sea of water. The flood scenario improved partially in East Midnapore, but vast areas in Bhagwanpur, Egra I and II, Patashpur I and II and Mugberia blocks were still waterlogged, officials said.
“Water has neither receded nor increased in these areas. The main concern now is the unavailability of relief in Bhagwanpur,” said an official.
Flood victims complained they had been left to fend for themselves.
“We are hungry for days. But no relief has reached us. The government sent some food Monday but a relief van was looted by hungry villagers of neighbouring areas,” complained Bhola Sahu of Bhagwanpur.
Police said the death toll in the floods stood at 35, with 23 perishing in West Midanpore district and 12 in adjoining East Midnapore.
West Midnapore district magistrate N.S. Nigam told IANS the situation was under control except in Sabong block where rescue operations are on.
The Keleghai, Kapaleswari and Subarnarekha rivers have long gone below the danger level, he said.
Central minister and state Congress president Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi visited Sabong and parts of East Midnapore to survey the flood situation.
Three columns of the army were operating in East Midnapore and another in the West providing relief to the victims.
- West Bengal flood toll rises to 30 - Jun 22, 2008
- West Bengal floods recede, but toll rises to 33 - Jun 23, 2008
- 19 killed, 200,000 displaced in West Bengal floods (Lead) - Jun 20, 2008
- West Bengal flood toll rises to 25, villages still marooned - Jun 21, 2008
- One killed, thousands of houses washed away in Bengal rains - Jun 21, 2011
- Floodwaters receding but human tragedy continues (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2008
- Bengal floods leave 15 dead, 1.9 million affected - Aug 14, 2011
- Flood situation grim in Punjab's Mansa district - Jul 16, 2010
- Two 'rapists' lynched in West Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- Death toll in Orissa flood rises to 22 - Sep 15, 2011
- Flood toll in Punjab and Haryana reaches 40 (Lead) - Jul 17, 2010
- Problems follow as floods recede in Assam - Jul 12, 2012
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100, 16 missing - Jul 05, 2012
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011