Flood situation grim in BiharSeptember 27th, 2011 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 27 (IANS) The flood situation in Bihar remained grim Tuesday with the Lakhandei river breaching its embankment at three places, affecting thousands, officials said.
Lakhandei, swelled by the flood waters of turbulent Bagmati, breached the embankment in over 50 metres near Basantpur and Aurai in Muzaffarpur district.
The flood waters then submerged over 100 villages, affecting nearly one lakh people.
Road and rail communications were disrupted at several places as flood waters submerged roads and tracks.
Officials said that the Ganges, Gandak, Bagmati and Kosi rivers were rising menacingly at several places.
The water resources department has asked people living in low lying areas in six districts including Patna to shift to safer places.
According to the Central Water Commission, the Ganges was flowing 86 cm above the danger mark at Gandhi Ghat in Patna and Sone 81 cm above the red line at Koilwar.
The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has evacuated more than 400 people so far.
But the situation is improving in Rohtas, Aurangabad, Arwal and Bhojpur districts as the Sone waters began to fall.
Two days ago, the Sone created havoc among hundreds of thousands of people following a sudden release of nearly 10 lakh cusecs of water from the Bansagar reservoir in Madhya Pradesh and the Rihand dam in Uttar Pradesh.
- Flood situation worsens in Bihar - Sep 26, 2011
- Flood alert in nine districts in Bihar - Sep 11, 2011
- Heavy rains spark fresh flood fears in Bihar - Sep 25, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Flood situation remains grim in Bihar - Sep 13, 2011
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- People flee homes as floodwater enters Bihar villages - Jul 14, 2010
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Over 100 villages flooded in Bihar as river breaches embankment - Aug 01, 2009
- Bihar flood hits over 200,000, rescue work intensified - Aug 03, 2009
- Thousands flee as Gandak breaches embankments (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- Fear of floods haunts Bihar - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: bagmati, bhojpur, central water, cusecs, danger mark, disaster response, flood situation, flood waters, ganges, ghat, grim tuesday, kosi, lakh, national disaster, ndrf, patna, response force, sone, water commission, water resources department