Flights delayed at Delhi airport after reports of gunfireDecember 5th, 2008 - 5:33 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi International airport here was shut down for nearly 20 minutes following reports of gunshots near the arrival terminal early Friday.The alarm was raised reportedly after a white Qualis car tried to approach the arrival terminal from the opposite and restricted direction around 1.10 a.m.
Vibhash, a 25-year-old employee of the Le Meridian hotel told reporters that he heard at least two gunshots from the direction of the unidentified Qualis car bearing Haryana registration number.
“I have not seen any one firing but definitely heard sounds similar to gunshots,” he said.
Unconfirmed reports suggested that two police vehicles were on hot pursuit of the car.
Following the reports of gunshots, officials of the Central Industrial Security Force and Delhi police, both responsible for the security at the airport, swung into action and surrounded the airport.
The gates of the airport were immediately closed and intensified searches were launched.
“We have carried out the intensified searches but have not come across any suspect. Additional security personnel are already deployed at the airport in the wake of terror threat to blow up three major airports in the country,” said a CISF official deployed at the airport.
“We are taking every precautionary measure and there is no need to panic,” he added.
Three international flights were delayed because of the incident. However it could not be confirmed.
- Delhi airport normal after terror scare, investigations on (Second Lead) - Dec 05, 2008
- Delhi airport returns to normal after terror scare (Lead) - Dec 05, 2008
- Airports security redrawn after terror scare at Delhi airport (Fourth lead) - Dec 05, 2008
- Security arrangements being redrawn after Delhi airport terror scare (Third Lead) - Dec 05, 2008
- Delhi blast probe: missing car may hold clue - Sep 08, 2011
- Hoax bomb threat at Chennai airport - Jun 10, 2011
- Delhi put on high alert ahead of Republic Day - Jan 21, 2012
- Three killed, four hurt in road accident - Aug 03, 2012
- South African airport evacuated after bomb scare - Jun 24, 2012
- Ukrainian airport evacuated after bomb scare - Aug 21, 2012
- Bomb scare at Delhi Metro station - Apr 14, 2011
- Karnataka braces for Thursday shutdown - Sep 19, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi's aide held at airport for carrying bullet - Nov 10, 2011
- Delhi on high alert after blast - Sep 07, 2011
- Tripura introduces high security vehicle number plates - Jul 30, 2012