Flash floods in Orissa kill three, affect one million (Lead)September 18th, 2008 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 18 (IANS) At least three people have died and nearly one million people have been affected as heavy rains triggered flash floods in Orissa, officials said Thursday.As it continued to pour in many parts of the state, the government announced that all schools in the four worst hit districts of Cuttack, Puri, Kendrapada and Jagatsinghpur would be closed Friday and Saturday.
The rains are due to a deep depression in the Bay of Bengal.
The three deaths occurred when walls of buildings came crashing down on the victims, Additional Commissioner (Relief) Benudhar Das said. One death took place in Bhadrak district and two people died in Jajpur.
Unofficial sources put the death toll across the state at 10.
The state has 11 major rivers, and water levels in many of them have risen above danger level, Das told IANS.
Heavy rains over the last three days and flooding have affected at least 12 of the 30 districts and marooned over 30 villages. The number affected could be about a million, the official said.
Roads, communications and electricity supply have been disrupted.
Hundreds of trees were uprooted in coastal districts following squalls with wind speeds of 55-65 kmph. The wind storm in the Bay of Bengal also caused tidal waves Tuesday and Wednesday.
More than 30,000 people were evacuated from low lying areas to safer places, the officials said.
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Heavy rains kill three, affect one million - Sep 18, 2008
- Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsen - Sep 25, 2011
- Death toll in Orissa flood rises to 22 - Sep 15, 2011
- Orissa flood situation continues to be grim - Sep 27, 2011
- Flood-hit Orissa gets two more choppers - Sep 26, 2011
- Orissa floods: Six die, toll rises to 32 - Sep 16, 2011
- Relief teams deployed in flood-hit Orissa - Sep 24, 2011
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Governor asks Orissa to probe dam 'mismanagement' - Oct 05, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gears up for cyclone Thane (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Odisha fishermen warned against going into sea - Aug 18, 2012