Flamengo’s fans frustrated with Libertadores lossJanuary 26th, 2012 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Jan 26 (IANS) Brazilian club Flamengo’s fans were left disappointed after a 1-2 loss to Bolivia’s Real Potosi in the first leg match in the qualifying round of the 2012 Libertadores Cup football.
During much of Flamengo’s pre-season, fans were critical of the administration’s lack of new signings. The club’s financial problems leaked onto the playing field with head coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo having a falling out with star midfielder Ronaldinho.
The club’s situation became even worse, with the humiliating loss in the Libertadores to an “inferior” Real Potosi.
“It seems like they have never played together. There is no rhythm. Flamengo has Brazil’s largest fans base. If the fans are not happy, neither should be the club’s board. We have complained for nearly a month about the lack of new talent brought in for the new season. If the team cannot make it through the qualifying round of the Libertadores Cup, it is going to be a long year,” a disgruntled Flamengo fan named Fabiano Silva was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Fans of Flamengo guaranteed that they will fill the stadium in the return leg against Real Potosi, scheduled for Feb 1 in Rio de Janeiro, in order to cheer their team to victory.
In order to advance to the group phase of the competition, Flamengo need a shut-out win or will need to win by a two-goal margin. A draw favours the Bolivians. A repeat of Wednesday’s score will take the match into penalties.
- Ronaldinho in hot water at Flamengo - Jan 19, 2012
- Flamengo fires head coach Luxemburgo - Feb 03, 2012
- Ronaldinho threatens strike due to delayed payment - Jan 12, 2012
- Ronaldinho denies indiscipline charge - Jun 04, 2012
- Former Real Madrid coach leads Gremio into top four - Jun 25, 2012
- Luxemburgo signs up to coach Gremio - Feb 22, 2012
- Fans want Ronaldinho out of Flamengo - Apr 07, 2012
- Ronaldinho dazzles despite abuse from opposing fans - Jul 02, 2012
- Ronaldinho quits Flamengo, sues club for unpaid wages - Jun 01, 2012
- Ronaldinho scores to give Flamengo 2-1 victory - Apr 08, 2012
- Flamengo sacks coach Santana - Jul 24, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico falters, Vasco stays top - Jun 18, 2012
- Flamengo move to third place after narrow victory - Mar 19, 2012
- Flamengo beat rivals Fluminense 2-0 - Mar 12, 2012
- Injured Gremio goalkeeper Grohe to miss crucial game - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: bolivia, bolivians, cup football, flamengo, group phase, head coach, libertadores cup, match, midfielder, new signings, return leg, rhythm, rio de janeiro, ronaldinho, s board, season fans, silva, vanderlei luxemburgo, victory, xinhua