Five women stripped, paraded naked in JharkhandOctober 19th, 2009 - 11:18 am ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Oct 19 (IANS) Five women were stripped and paraded naked in Deoghar district of Jharkhand after being charged of witchcraft, police said Monday.
Five women, including three widows, were forcibly brought to a field Sunday in Patharghatia village in Deoghar, about 350 km from state capital Ranchi. They were stripped and paraded naked and two of them were forced to eat excreta, police said.
“Sushila Kumahrin, Sagiran Beebi, Hafijan Beebi, Sujan Beebi and Gulnar Beebi were tortured to accept that they were witches and practise black magic. The incident took place at the instruction of a witch doctor. The witch doctor said that these women were practising black magic and were causing problems in the village,” a police officer told IANS.
The women were rescued when local government officials and police reached the spot. However, the perpetrators managed to escape.
According to reports, hundreds of people witnessed the incident.
“We have lodged an FIR (First Information Report) against 11 people, including six women. We will soon arrest the perpetrators,” the officer added.
Majority of perpetrators were Muslims and four of the five victims belonged to the same community.
In Jharkhand, women are subjected to different forms of torture after being branded witches. There are instances when women have been paraded naked, forced to eat human excreta and even killed.
According to official data, more than 700 people, majority of them women, were killed after being branded witches. The witch doctors manage to escape as people fear black magic if they are named.
- Son kills mother for 'black magic' - Jan 25, 2011
- Woman forced to eat human excreta on witchcraft charge - Apr 28, 2012
- Branded a witch, woman beaten to death - Sep 26, 2010
- Dalit woman killed in Bihar for practising witchcraft - May 24, 2012
- Villagers kill three in Jharkhand for practising 'black magic' - Jun 23, 2012
- Bihar woman lynched for practicing 'witchcraft' - Aug 01, 2012
- Jharkhand woman killed, cut up, roasted, eaten by murderers - Jun 07, 2011
- Single women victims of witch-hunt in tribal Assam - Nov 02, 2011
- Five injured in Jharkhand district jail clash - May 24, 2011
- Brother kills family for practising witchcraft - Oct 28, 2011
- Crusade against withcraft by street plays in Jharkhand - Mar 07, 2010
- Woman branded as witch, molested in Rajasthan - Jun 25, 2012
- Woman branded witch, tortured in Rajasthan - Apr 13, 2012
- Munda lays foundation stone for Deoghar airport - Jul 17, 2012
- Woman branded as a witch, tortured - Oct 12, 2011