Five striking Indian workers arrested in KuwaitApril 14th, 2008 - 5:59 pm ICT by admin
Dubai, April 14 (IANS) Five Indian workers in Kuwait were arrested after about 525 contract workers went on strike at a labour camp, protesting violation of contract by the company they work for. A vast majority of the 525 workers are Indians, according to a report in the Arab Times.
“The arrest of our colleagues made every worker determined to go ahead with the strike and there is no backing down unless the company honours our demands,” the newspaper quoted one of the workers as saying.
“We tried to bring our supervisors to the table but to no avail. So, we were not left with any other option, but to go on strike.”
The workers, who were employed as carpenters, drivers, electricians and plumbers, alleged that they were paid 60 Kuwaiti dinars ($226) in salary against the KD100 ($376) mentioned in the contract.
They also alleged that the company was deducting KD67 ($252) annually under the pretext of residency fees, and that they were not paid for overtime work.
According to them, the police picked up the five workers without assigning any reasons for their detention.
“The five workers were not given any reason for their arrests as the police came to the camp and whisked them away. We seek immediate release of our colleagues,” a worker told the newspaper.
There are around 550,000 expatriate Indians in Kuwait and a large majority of them work as contract labour in the state’s booming construction industry.
Last week, around 90 Indian workers in a Kuwaiti construction company went on strike, alleging they have not been paid their salary for seven months.
That case has been taken up by the Indian embassy in Kuwait.
- Kuwait parliament okays independent body on foreign labour - Sep 11, 2008
- Indian workers in Kuwait without wages for seven months - Apr 11, 2008
- Indian workers in Ghana left in the lurch - Jul 01, 2012
- Strike at Nokia Siemens Networks India - Apr 09, 2012
- Kuwait's Indian embassy sets model to help workers in distress - Feb 27, 2011
- US firm charged with mistreating Indian workers - Apr 22, 2011
- Labour in Communist China suffer exploitation - Dec 15, 2011
- India says it is acting to resolve its workers' crisis in Angola - May 16, 2012
- Worker from Tamil Nadu killed in Libyan violence - Feb 22, 2011
- India to draw up action plan to boost trade with Kuwait - Mar 06, 2011
- Indian workers stuck in Libya to be back - Aug 12, 2010
- Kerala nurses end strike (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- 34 Keralites' ordeal in Libya likely to end Tuesday - Jan 09, 2010
- Kuwait football coach out of coma - Sep 06, 2012
- Police charge company with child labour - Mar 05, 2011