Five robbers arrestedSeptember 24th, 2011 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 24 (IANS) Five people who would rob people of their jewellery by impersonating as police officials were arrested, police said Saturday.
The accused, residents of Mumbai, would allegedly hypnotise people into parting with their money and jewellery.
The arrests came after an investigation was taken up on the compliant of a woman Monika Bagga who was cheated by the men Sep 16 while she was going to her house in Mehrauli. She was robbed of her jewellery.
The five - Sanjay Tehzib Jaffery, Shazman, Iqbal Ali, Mukhtiyar Hussain and Kalender Hussain - were arrested from near Malviya Nagar metro station on a tip-off.
Jaffery, the gang leader, came from Iran and settled in Mumbai. He learnt hypnotism from there. The accused were involved in several cases of cheating and snatching, police said.
They used to come Delhi twice in a month by air and would stay in hotels at Nizamuddin or Paharganj.
“After committing a series of crimes, the accused would go back to Mumbai, except the gang leader Jaffery and one of the members. The duo used to travel by train with the looted jewellery to escape checking at the airport,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police, south district, Chhaya Sharma.
- Gang that drugged and robbed passengers caught - Jun 13, 2012
- Fraudsters stole jewellery posing as cops, held - Mar 05, 2011
- Bagladeshi robbers' gang busted - Feb 08, 2012
- Three held for duping jeweller of Rs.1 crore - Nov 13, 2011
- Man wanted since 2004 arrested - Mar 05, 2011
- Man held for hypnotising, robbing women - Mar 15, 2011
- Chain snatchers and their new tricks - Jun 04, 2012
- Conman dupes by posing as cop, held - Jun 19, 2012
- Man held for around 50 robberies - Sep 17, 2011
- Air Force official murder case solved, four arrested - Jan 24, 2012
- Two arrested for duping people - Jan 01, 2012
- Men who robbed in police uniform arrested - Jun 11, 2012
- Eunuch among five arrested for murder - Dec 03, 2011
- Engineer arrested for rape, cheating - Sep 14, 2011
- Four arrested, 205 kg of ganja seized - May 31, 2011