Five people killed in Manipur blastAugust 1st, 2011 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
Imphal, Aug 1 (IANS) At least five people were killed Monday when a powerful bomb exploded in a market in this Manipur capital, police said.
“The bomb exploded at a shop in the Sangakpam market in the capital city at around 2 p.m., killing five people on the spot. Twenty people were also injured and admitted to the hospital,” a police spokesperson told reporters.
Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh, who also holds the home portfolio, visited the spot and ordered an inquiry.
“Casualties may increase as the injuries of some of the people are stated to be critical,” the police official said.
The Manipur government had intensified security in Imphal and other sensitive places after rebels hurled grenades at some houses at Chingamathak Manipur College Road near here Sunday.
The grenades did not explode and no one was injured in the attack. All the four targeted houses are located under the Imphal municipality area from where the government recently lifted the controversial Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act.
Police suspect that separatist outfits might step up violence in this volatile northeastern state ahead of Independence Day.
- Five killed, 20 injured in Manipur blast (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Bomb blast in northeastern India kills 5 - Aug 01, 2011
- Grenade hurled at Congress MP's house in Manipur, fails to explode - Sep 21, 2012
- Voting peaceful in Manipur (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Shutdown-plagued Manipur votes Saturday - Jan 27, 2012
- Blast on poll-eve creates panic in Manipur - Jan 27, 2012
- Manipur polls witness violence, five killed (Third Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Manipur records 40 percent polling till noon (Second Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Six killed in Manipur, poll turnout over 70 percent (Fourth Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Blast kills eight-year-old in Manipur - Mar 15, 2012
- Five injured in Manipur blast - Dec 06, 2010
- Manipur parties in poll mode for Jan 28 battle - Dec 25, 2011
- Northeast reviews disaster preparedness after quake - Sep 20, 2011
- Manipur sees over 80 percent turnout, seven killed (Night Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: armed forces, bomb, capital police, casualties, chief minister, grenades, home portfolio, independence day, municipality area, northeastern state, police official, police spokesperson, rebels, sensitive places, violence