Five people held with 425 kg of gelatinMarch 2nd, 2011 - 5:25 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 2 (IANS) Five people were arrested and nearly 425 kg of gelatin was recovered in West Bengal’s Birbhum district, police said Wednesday adding they were investigating whether the explosive material was meant for Maoists.
“Acting on specific inputs, we conducted raids along Dubrajpur-Pandaveswar road in Dubrajpur area Tuesday night and recovered 17 packets of gelatin gel from a Bankura bound vehicle. Five people travelling in the vehicle were arrested,” said Birbhum Police Superintendent Nishat Parvez.
“Two were from Jamuria in Burdwan, two from Rampurhat in Birbhum and one from Bankura. We are interrogating to know the source and receivers of such a huge quantity of gelatin gel,” Parvez told IANS over phone.
A senior police officer said the huge quantity of gelatin was smuggled from the stone quarries in Md. Bazar block in Birbhum. The consignment might be meant for Maoists who are active in Bankura district, police said.
“We are investigating whether 4.25 quintals of gelatin gel was meant for the Maoists or not. All the bordering police stations in the district have been alerted,” said Parvez.
- Huge explosives haul made in Jharkhand - Feb 02, 2012
- Detonators, gelatin sticks seized in Jharkhand - Jun 08, 2012
- 49 firearms, 1,000 detonators seized in West Bengal - Jun 10, 2011
- Explosives seized in Uttar Pradesh's Sonbhadra - Nov 02, 2011
- Member of pro-Maoist PCAPA held in Bengal - Nov 12, 2010
- Security forces unearth Maoist arms dump in Odisha - Sep 11, 2012
- Explosives seized from Maoist hideout - Jan 25, 2011
- Teenaged girl raped, friend molested in West Bengal - Jun 30, 2012
- Voting under way for fifth round of Bengal polls (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Maoist arms suppliers held in West Bengal - Aug 29, 2010
- Seven special police men suspended in West Bengal - Oct 14, 2011
- Two Nepalis arrested with detonators, gelatin rods - Feb 25, 2011
- Trinamool worker killed by coal mafia in Bengal - Apr 05, 2011
- Explosives seized in Odisha - Feb 08, 2012
- Three Maoists arrested in Ranchi - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: birbhum district, burdwan, consignment, district police, explosive material, gelatin, kg, maoists, parvez, police officer, police stations, police superintendent, quintals, receivers, stone quarries, tuesday night, west bengal