Five people commit suicide in DelhiOctober 7th, 2011 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 7 (IANS) Three members of a family, a 50 year-old woman and a 33-year-old man undergoing treatment for depression committed suicide in different parts of the capital, police said Friday.
Vijay Kumar Sharma, 55, a car accessories businessman, along with his wife Neena Devi, 47, and daughter Soniya, 17, committed suicide at his rented house in Rajouri Garden in west Delhi Thursday.
Sharma, a native of Punjab, was under tremendous pressure to return money he had borrowed from various banks and friends.
While Sharma, who operated his business from Gurgaon in Haryana, killed himself by hanging himself from a ceiling fan, Neena Devi and Soniya slit their wrists. Soniya was pursuing her graduation through correspondence.
The incident came to the notice when Mamta, the landlady of the house, saw an acquaintance who came to meet Sharma. After repeated knocking, there was no response. Sensing trouble, she informed Sharma’s son Sandeep who was staying separately.
He came and peeped through the window and found that his family had committed suicide, police said.
Sandeep then informed the police.
“All of them slit their wrists. After slitting his wrist, Sharma hung himself,” said a police officer.
The family was rushed to Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital where doctors declared them brought dead.
“We found a suicide note where Sharma mentioned about being caught in a vicious cycle of debt,” said the officer.
In the second incident, 50-year-old Imriti Devi, mother of six daughters and a son, immolated herself at her house in Sultanpuri in West Delhi Friday morning.
Wife of a scrap dealer, Imriti Devi was upset because of the financial crisis her family was facing, police said.
While her three unmarried daughters were on the ground floor of the house and her husband was out, she went to the first floor and poured kerosene over herself.
After smelling smoke, the daughters rushed upstairs to find their mother locked in a room and screaming in pain. She was rushed to Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital where doctors declared her brought dead.
In the third incident, a 33-year-old man, undergoing treatment for depression since 10 years, killed himself by slashing his wrist in Rani Bagh in West Delhi Friday afternoon.
Rajat Nagpal went to the bathroom and locked himself. After an hour, when his father Harish Chand Nagpal, a consultancy firm owner, knocked on the door, there was no response. He broke into the washroom and saw his son lying in a pool of blood.
Rajat was rushed to Babu Jagjivan Ram Hospital where he was declared brought dead.
- Youth slits wrists at Delhi police station, arrested (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Youth slits wrists at Delhi police station - Jun 12, 2012
- Delhi policeman's wife commits suicide - Mar 11, 2012
- Family dispute leads Delhi resident to suicide - Aug 10, 2012
- Two attempt self-immolation, 78-year-old dead - Mar 10, 2011
- Delhi couple commits suicide after financial losses - Jul 25, 2011
- Suspended jailer kills wife, self in Lucknow (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Class 10 girl commits suicide in Delhi - Jun 15, 2012
- Newly-wed woman commits suicide in Delhi - Apr 26, 2012
- Man commits suicide in Delhi - Sep 09, 2012
- Dowry demand leads woman to suicide - Apr 19, 2012
- 50-year-old commits suicide over sleeping disorder - Aug 11, 2011
- Businessman commits suicide in Delhi - Oct 07, 2011
- Delhi official's daughter commits suicide - Nov 24, 2011
- 'Dead' woman comes alive in China - Aug 03, 2012