Five Nepalis arrested with fake currency in Greater NoidaDecember 16th, 2008 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Greater Noida, Dec 16 (IANS) Five people were arrested with fake currency here. The racket was exposed after a grocery store owner became suspicious on being handed over a counterfeit Rs.100 currency note, the police said here Tuesday. The five Nepali nationals were part of an international network of fake currency suppliers, the Greater Noida police said Tuesday.
The police have arrested Balister and his wife Manju, both residents of Ranighat in Nepal, Dhananjay and his wife Promila of Kalaya in Nepal, and Ajay Das Baniya who too hails from Kalaya in Nepal.
The police have recovered counterfeit currency notes worth Rs.165,000. Also, Rs.35,000 in genuine Indian currency and three mobile phones were seized from the arrested peiople.
While Ajay Das Baniya was arrested from Habibpur, the other four -Balister, Manju, Dhananjay and Promila - were arrested from Barola.
Surendra Verma, superintendent of police (Greater Noida), said Ajay Das Baniya had gone to a grocery store in Habibpur about a month back to purchase a few goods. He paid Rs.100 to grocer Satish Kumar.
Satish became suspicious and tore off the note in front of Ajay following which they had a tiff. Satish called the police and Ajay was arrested from the spot.
The police then arrested the rest of them from their rented accommodations in Barola.
The two Nepali couples told the police that they bought fake currency notes from Jumman and Sohrab, both residents of Kalaya in Nepal. These two people used to provide them fake currency worth Rs.100,000 in exchange for Rs.42,000 in genuine Indian currency.
Jumman and Sohrab also charged three percent on the successful circulation of fake currency in the Indian market, the police said.
The Nepali nationals told the police that Jumman and Sohrab had told them that these fake notes originated in Pakistan and they traded them from a Pakistani fake currency supplier.
“There are believed to be more members in their racket, which we are trying to trace out,” said Verma.
- Fresh trail links Karachi to fake Indian money in Nepal - Aug 12, 2011
- Nepali national held for ISI links - Jun 05, 2011
- Indian fake currency gangs chose Nepal star-hotel for deals - May 06, 2011
- Two held with fake currency - Mar 15, 2011
- Five men arrested with fake notes - Sep 13, 2011
- Fake currency unit busted in Bihar - Apr 26, 2011
- Man held with counterfeit currency - Nov 05, 2011
- Man held in Lucknow with Rs.1 lakh in fake currency - Aug 27, 2011
- Two held in Uttar Pradesh with fake currency notes - Oct 12, 2010
- Karachi link to fake Indian currency in Nepal - May 07, 2011
- Fake currency seized in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Three held with fake currency in Rajasthan's Bharatpur - Jul 02, 2012
- Counterfeit currency seized in Punjab - Jul 10, 2011
- Fake currency racket busted in Kolkata, four held - Jun 11, 2010
- Man held with counterfeit currency in south Delhi - Dec 31, 2010