Five Maoist rebels arrested in Ranchi, weapons seizedSeptember 10th, 2008 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Sep 10 (IANS) Five Maoist rebels were arrested here Wednesday and two pistols and five live cartridges were seized from them, the police said. According to the police, the rebels belong to the outlawed Jharkhand Liberation Tigers (JLT), a breakaway group of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist).
“The JLT members were arrested by a special team constituted to keep a tab on the activities of the rebel group,” said Senior Superintendent of Police (Ranchi) M.S. Bhatia.
Two locally-made illicit pistols, five live cartridges, three mobile phones, two motorbikes and Maoist literature were recovered from the arrested Maoist rebels, the police said.
“This is a big success for the police. The arrests have damaged the JLT’s network in the state,” said Bhatia.
In Jharkhand, the JLT is also known as the People’s Liberation Front of India (PLFI).
Maoist rebels are active in 18 of Jharkhand’s 24 districts. In the last seven years, more than 1,300 people, including civilians and rebels, have been killed in Maoist related violence.
- 5 Maoists, including 2 women, arrested in Jharkhand - Apr 15, 2011
- Two Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - Oct 14, 2011
- Two Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - Jan 17, 2011
- Three Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - Jan 24, 2011
- Maoists kill three youths, torch bus in Jharkhand - Jan 31, 2011
- Two women Maoists surrender in Jharkhand - May 19, 2011
- Maoist commander arrested in Jharkhand - Oct 11, 2010
- Three Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - Jun 30, 2010
- Two Maoists arrested, weapons recovered - Jan 30, 2011
- Four Maoists held in Jharkhand - Nov 09, 2011
- Three Maoist guerrillas arrested in Jharkhand - Dec 28, 2011
- Maoist rivalry kills four in Jharkhand - May 16, 2011
- Five Maoist rebels arrested in Jharkhand - Sep 29, 2009
- Maoists kill four, torch bus, blast CRPF water pump (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Five Maoists surrender in Jharkhand - Jan 28, 2012