Five killed in Bangladesh landslideAugust 18th, 2008 - 3:10 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Aug 18 (Xinhua) At least five people were killed and seven injured in a landslide early Monday in Bangladesh’s southeastern city of Chittagong, about 242 km southeast of the capital. Rescuers recovered four bodies, those of three women and a child, while a man succumbed to his injuries on way to hospital, private United News of Bangladesh reported.
Seven people injured in the landslip were rescued, it said.
The tragedy took place when the thatched houses of the victims at the foothill were buried under the landslide following heavy rain.
Landslides are frequent in the country’s southeastern hilly areas during the heavy monsoon that runs from June to September
In June 2007, some 123 people were killed in a landslide in the district.
- Landslide kills 12 in Bangladesh - Jul 02, 2011
- 48 killed in Bangladesh landslides (Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- 90 die in Bangladesh floods, landslides - Jun 27, 2012
- 26 school kids killed in Bangladesh accident - Jul 11, 2011
- Six missing after landslide hits village in southeastern China - Apr 24, 2012
- Seven killed in China landslide - Jun 30, 2012
- Lightning kills four in Bangladesh - May 31, 2012
- Floods, landslides kill 130 in Bangladesh - Jul 12, 2012
- Three dead, dozens injured in police firing in Bangladesh - Dec 13, 2010
- UN ready to help flood-hit India, Bangladesh - Jun 30, 2012
- 18 dead in China landslide - Jul 06, 2011
- 42 die in Indian quake, rains hamper relief work - Sep 19, 2011
- Train crash kills at least 19, injures hundreds in central Bangladesh - Dec 08, 2010
- 12 dead in China landslides - Sep 19, 2011
- 10 killed, three missing in Indonesia landslide - Oct 13, 2010