Five killed in armed clash in RajasthanSeptember 15th, 2011 - 12:16 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Sep 14 (IANS) Tension gripped Rajasthan’s Bharatpur district Wednesday after at least five people were killed in an armed clash that also left 10 injured, mostly with gunshot wounds, police said.
The clash took place in Gopalgarh area of the district, some 170 km from here.
“There was a dispute about a piece of public land in the village. The land was being claimed for a burial centre by one group while the opposing group wanted it for constructing a pond,” a senior police officer told IANS.
A public meeting was held Wednesday in which people from both groups took part. “During the meeting, things went wrong and violence erupted,” the officer said.
Bullets were fired from both sides despite a police team already being deployed there keeping in view the tense situation.
As the situation went out of control, the administration ordered use of tear gas to disperse the crowd.
Heavy police force and battalions of Rajasthan Armed Constabulary have been deployed in the village.
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot met senior administration and police officials Wednesday evening to assess the situation.
- Day after clash, tension in Bharatpur continues - Sep 15, 2011
- CBI begins probe of Bharatpur riots - Oct 13, 2011
- Bharatpur clash toll rises to seven - Sep 16, 2011
- Gehlot cancels Ajmer visit after security concerns - Jul 31, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi visits Rajasthan's violence-hit areas - Oct 09, 2011
- Police firing did not kill anyone in Bharatpur: Official - Sep 19, 2011
- Policemen removed for negligence in Rajasthan clash - Sep 23, 2011
- Rajasthan violence: 13 accused sent to two-day CBI custody - Dec 13, 2011
- CBI quizzes two Rajasthan legislators on Bharatpur riots - Aug 04, 2012
- CBI registers cases in two Rajasthan cases (Lead) - Oct 11, 2011
- Ashok Gehlot hits a bad political patch (News Analysis) - Sep 21, 2011
- Rajasthan to deploy special police to protect forests - Mar 04, 2011
- Toll rises to 27 in Rajasthan rains - Aug 24, 2012
- STF deployed in Rajasthan village - Feb 17, 2011
- Communal tension, scandal land Gehlot in trouble (Lead, News Analysis) - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: ashok, battalions, bharatpur, bullets, chief minister, clash, constabulary, crowd, gunshot wounds, jaipur, police force, police officer, police officials, police team, senior administration, tear gas, tense situation, village chief, violence, wednesday evening