Five kidnapped men freed after gunbattle with dacoitsJune 23rd, 2009 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, June 23 (IANS) Five employees of an Indore-based private firm, abducted by dacoits on Sunday, were freed after a gunbattle between police and the dacoits in Agra district of Uttar Pradesh, police said here Tuesday. Another kidnapped employee was found dead.
The six were kidnapped by dacoits from the Kanera Irrigation Project site in Kachhpura village, 400 km from here, in Chambal region of Madhya Pradesh Sunday evening.
The dacoits belonged to the Pandit gang, which usually operates in Uttar Pradesh.
The villagers near the site had fired at the dacoits to stop them from taking away the men, but they managed to escape with their captives towards neighbouring Uttar Pradesh.
Madhya Pradesh police soon swung into action to free the men. It also announced an award of Rs.10,000 each on dacoit leaders Rajnarain and Rajkumar.
Later, the police of three states - Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh - jointly combed the area. The police team from Madhya Pradesh engaged the dacoits in a gunbattle near Agra Tuesday morning, whereupon the dacoits fled leaving the five captives.
Those abducted included the site engineer of the company Sharad Jhanwar (32), mechanic Dilip Ojha (35), gunman Santosh Pachouri, driver Salim, employees Abhimanyu Tripathi and Suresh Maheshwari. While the first five have been freed by the police, the body of Suresh Maheshwari was found in the ravines.
“Our police had an encounter with the dacoits on the borders of Agra district in the morning and compelled them to free the captives. According to the employees of the company, Suresh was not well and was unable to walk in the ravines, so the dacoits had left him alone. There are no injury marks on his body, which makes us believe that he might have died of illness,” Chambal range Inspector General R.B. Sharma told IANS.
- Dreaded Chambal dacoit killed in shootout - Mar 05, 2012
- Cattle fair near Agra to woo tourists - Oct 05, 2011
- Two Tamil Nadu businessmen held captive near Agra? - Jan 13, 2011
- Chambal dacoit shot dead in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 16, 2011
- Tamil Nadu businessman released, police unsure about another - Jan 15, 2011
- Sand mafia attacks cops, officials in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 10, 2012
- Abducted youths released after 66 days - Nov 19, 2010
- Kidnapped chess player's son released - Dec 31, 2009
- Adventure tourism in Chambal ravines for Games visitors - Jul 17, 2010
- Chambal dacoits have new job descriptions: Author - Apr 24, 2010
- 'Paan Singh Tomar': Untold tale of an athlete-turned-dacoit (IANS Preview) - Feb 28, 2012
- Six injured in Rajasthan jail clash - Jan 19, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh farmers to get Rs.200 crore central aid - Feb 02, 2011
- They come from far and wide to Bateshwar cattle fair - Nov 16, 2010
- 11 killed, 88 abducted by Maoists till April - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: abducted, bhopal, captives, dacoits, gunbattle, gunman, inspector general, irrigation project, madhya pradesh, maheshwari, mechanic, police team, private firm, rajasthan, ravines, salim, sunday evening, three states, tripathi, tuesday morning