Five jailed in Ranchi trafficking caseMay 16th, 2012 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 16 (IANS) Five people, accused of selling and buying a teenaged girl three years ago, were Wednesday sentenced to 10 to five years in jail by a local court here.
The case is about the trafficking of the 17-year-old from Ranchi to Haryana, said B.N. Mishra, a lawyer.
The court awarded 10 years imprisonment to Vijay Singh of Haryana who had purchased the girl for Rs.50,000. The remaining four, two men and two women, were given five years in jail and asked to pay a fine of Rs.15,000 each, Mishra told reporters.
He said the girl was forced into a physical relationship, after which she became pregnant. She was later rescued and brought back home to Ranchi.
Human trafficking is widespread in Jharkhand. According to the police, middlemen, promising jobs, take the girls to Delhi and Mumbai and other cities and sell them.
- Fodder scam: 64 convicts get jail terms in one case (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- 64 people sentenced in fodder scam (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Ranchi court convicts 64 in fodder scam - Jan 31, 2012
- Chinese woman gets death for infant trafficking - Jun 17, 2012
- 4 to 7 years' jail for 40 convicted in fodder scam case - May 07, 2012
- 52 convicted, eight sent to jail in fodder scam case - Nov 29, 2010
- 69 convicted in fodder scam - May 03, 2012
- Eleven more sentenced in fodder scam case - Dec 01, 2010
- 26 get 1-5 years' jail terms for fodder scam - Feb 02, 2012
- Jharkhand assembly speaker sentenced to one-month jail - May 16, 2012
- Fodder scam: Key facts - Jan 31, 2012
- Nine sentenced in fodder scam case - Nov 30, 2010
- Fodder scam: Lalu, Jagannath statements to be recorded - Feb 02, 2012
- 12 get four to six years' jail in fodder scam case - Dec 03, 2010
- 62 convicted in fodder scam, 23 jailed - Jan 28, 2011