Five Indian shuttlers qualify for London GamesMay 4th, 2012 - 1:14 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) For the first time in Olympics, Indian badminton will see a record participation from five players in four different categories.
According to the new world rankings released Thursday, Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap, Jwala Gutta, Ashwini Ponnappa and V. Diju made the cut.
While Saina qualified on the basis of her superior ranking of World No.5, Kashyap qualified after he qualified for the semi-final of the India Open Super Series here last week, which was the last event in the qualification period.
Kashyap’s semifinal appearance propelled him by six spots to No. 24, which made him the highest ranked Indian ahead of Jayaram.
For the first time since the introduction of the sport in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, Indians also qualified in mixed and women’s doubles.
Jwala and Ashwini, who won the Commonwealth Games women’s doubles title in 2010, jumped four spots over the last week to reach World No. 16 and it was enough for them to book their London berth.
Jwala and Diju, the country’s top mixed doubles pair, also booked their ticket to London as they are ranked No. 15.
In the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, Vimal Kumar and Dipankar Bhattacharjee got an entry in men’s doubles category since they bagged entry in the singles event as well.
- Saina-led team arrives in Delhi enroute to London - Jul 23, 2012
- Saina rises to World No.4 - Aug 09, 2012
- Saina drawn in easy group at London Olympics - Jul 23, 2012
- Shuttler Sindhu breaks into top 20 - Sep 20, 2012
- Not going to London to make up numbers: Kashyap - Apr 28, 2012
- All England Championships: Saina enters second round - Mar 07, 2012
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- Saina steady at fourth, Sourabh jumps 45 places in world ranking - May 05, 2011
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
- Saina eases into second round of Korea Open Superseries - Jan 04, 2012
- Indian badminton team for CWG announced - Sep 02, 2010
- Olympics: Kashyap shines on a mixed day for Indian badminton (Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- Olympic badminton: Kashyap in pre-quarters; Jwala-Diju out (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Saina enters quarters of Japan Open - Sep 23, 2011
Tags: ashwini, barcelona olympics, berth, bhattacharjee, commonwealth games, dipankar, games new, gutta, jayaram, jwala, kashyap, london games, mixed doubles, New Delhi, olympics, qualification period, saina nehwal, semifinal appearance, shuttlers, vimal