Five in race for Pakistan PM’s post (Lead)June 21st, 2012 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 21 (IANS) Five candidates, three from the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and one each from the opposition Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) and Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F), Thursday filed nomination papers for the post of prime minister.
PPP candidates Makhdoom Shahabuddin, Raja Pervez Ashraf and Qamar Zaman Kaira filed their papers ahead of the 2 p.m. deadline, Geo News reported.
The JUI-F named its chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman while the PML-N nominated Sardar Mehtab Abbasi as their respective prime ministerial candidates.
Shahabuddin is a member of the National Assembly from Rahim Yar Khan, Ashraf from Rawalpindi and Kaira from Gujrat — all three places are in Punjab province.
Abbasi is a former chief minister of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and current member of the National Assembly from Abbottabad, made infamous for the hideout of Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, where he was killed.
Fazlur Rehman hails from Abdulkhel Banyala area of the Dera Ismail Khan district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. He is a member of the National Assembly from Bannu.
Shahabuddin thanked President Asif Ali Zardari and greeted party members of the PPP on the birth anniversary of late Benazir Bhutto.
“I am thankful from the bottom of my heart (to Zardari). Today is a special day because it is Benazir Bhutto’s birthday and I send my congratulations on this birthday to all party workers,” he said.
A special session of the National Assembly has been summoned Friday (June 22) to elect the new prime minister, after Yousuf Raza Gilani was disqualified by the Supreme Court. Speaker Fehmida Mirza will chair the proceedings.
- Pakistan opposition names PM candidates - Jun 21, 2012
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Race for Pakistan PM: PPP drops Shahabuddin, names Ashraf (Evening Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Zardari picks Shahabuddin as Pakistan PM - Jun 21, 2012
- Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP candidate for PM's post (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Shahabuddin dropped, Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP's new PM hopeful (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Zardari fields Shahabuddin for Pakistan PM's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- PPP asks JUI-F chief to withdraw from PM race - Jun 22, 2012
- It's monarchy in Pakistan, not democracy, says Imran - Dec 17, 2011
- KP Assembly passes joint resolution against any amendment in Pak's Blasphemy Law - Jan 08, 2011
- Pakistan People's Party fails to persuade JUI-F to rejoin ruling coalition - Dec 16, 2010
- JUI-F hints at rejoining Pakistan People's Party government - Dec 27, 2010
- Pakistani parliament committee to probe Karachi violence - Aug 28, 2011
- "ANP chief declined Kayani's offer to replace Zardari owing to lack of support" - Dec 02, 2010
- CIA, provincial govt blamed for Swabi suicide attack targeting Pak politician - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: abbasi, asif ali zardari, benazir bhutto, birth anniversary, dera ismail khan, dera ismail khan district, fazl, geo news, gilani, ismail khan, kaira, ministerial candidates, new prime minister, nomination papers, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, pakistan peoples party, pml n, post lead, rahim yar khan