Five held for fake mobile tower offersApril 5th, 2011 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 5 (IANS) Five men have been arrested here for duping several people across the country after promising them monthly rents of around Rs.70,000 if they installed mobile phone towers at their premises, police said Tuesday.
Islam Ahmad, 22, Deepak Kumar Malhotra, 25, Suraj, 24, Mukesh Kumar, 22, and Tilak Raj, 28, were held from Mayur Vihar area of east Delhi Monday, Deputy Commissioner of Police O.P. Mishra said.
The gang would issue advertisements in leading newspapers across India offering to install mobile towers of various operators.
“People who contacted them through advertisements were told that they will install Virgin, Idea and Aircel mobile towers,” said Mishra.
The gang then asked the people to deposit Rs.4,000-5,000 in a bank account as an agreement deal.
“When the land owner deposited the money, they dispatched a fake set of agreement letters to them. The gang members promised the land owners a monthly rent of Rs.65,000-Rs.70,000 and Rs.40 lakh as advance by the companies. They also asked them to deposit Rs.45,000-50,000 as advance tax,” he said.
The men decamped with the money as soon the victimes deposited it in the accounts.
The gang had also employed telecallers at salary of Rs.5,000 per month. However, they did not keep them for more than two months and whenever any employee stumbled upon their fraud, he was asked to leave, Mishra said.
Police have found more than 100 bank accounts opened using forged identity cards.
- Man held for cheating on pretext of erecting phone towers - Apr 10, 2011
- Three held for duping 500 people of Rs.50 lakh - Nov 16, 2011
- Friendship club racket busted, 25 arrested (Lead) - May 14, 2011
- Man, young women in jail over fake 'friendship club' - May 07, 2010
- Gang of fraudsters busted, three arrested from UP - Sep 19, 2012
- Education loan fraud busted in Delhi, 8 held (Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- Six men held for cheating on pretext of giving loans - Nov 18, 2011
- Court says no to de-sealing of Delhi mobile phone towers - Jun 14, 2010
- Three held for cheating, launching fake companies - Oct 21, 2011
- Two arrested for duping people - Jan 01, 2012
- AIIMS exam racket busted, five arrested (Second Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Delhi court evicts tenant from ex-official's flat - Jul 01, 2012
- Court stays panel on Delhi's mobile phone towers - Jun 04, 2010
- Man cheating people with aviation sector jobs arrested - Mar 10, 2011
- AIIMS exam racket busted, five arrested (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: agreement letters, ahmad, bank accounts, commissioner of police, deepak, deputy commissioner, east delhi, five men, gang members, lakh, malhotra, mishra, mobile phone towers, mobile tower, mobile towers, mukesh kumar, rents, rs 40, rs 65, tilak