Five dead in Bengal hooch tragedy (Lead)May 5th, 2009 - 12:25 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 4 (IANS) Five people died and 20 others were taken ill after they consumed spurious country liquor in West Bengal’s East Midnapore district Monday.
The tragedy occurred near Ramtarak market of Mecheda in the Matangini block of the district, the state police control room said.
Fourteen of those taken ill are serious, said East Midnapore superintendent of police Pallab Kanti Ghosh.
The incident happened in the afternoon after those drinking in a country liquor den started complaining of excruciating body ache and began vomitting.
Five of them died on way to the hospital.
Irate villagers staged an impromptu demonstration demanding all the liquor dens in the area be dismantled. Following this, five such illegal shops were razed.
- West Bengal hooch toll rises to 11, probe ordered (Lead) - May 05, 2009
- Four dead, 20 taken ill in West Bengal hooch tragedy - May 04, 2009
- West Bengal hooch toll rises to 20 - May 06, 2009
- Sip of death leaves families bereft of hope - Dec 15, 2011
- Moonshine kills 63 in Bengal village - Dec 15, 2011
- West Bengal hooch toll rises to eight - May 05, 2009
- Spurious liquor kills six in Andhra - Dec 31, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 - Dec 15, 2011
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Spurious liquor kills four in Bihar, three held (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- West Bengal: Killer liquor dens exist near police camp - Dec 16, 2011
- Spurious liquor kills four in Bihar - Apr 20, 2012
- Spurious liquor claims five lives in Bihar - Sep 22, 2010