Five dead, 40 injured in West Bengal bus accident (Lead)September 11th, 2008 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 11 (IANS) Five people died and at least 40 were injured when a long-distance bus hit a tree and fell into a ditch in West Bengal.The accident, according to the police, took place at Ulluberia sub-division of Howrah district, about 30 km from here. The police said there were at least 60 passengers in the bus coming from Dihibursut.
The incident took place near Siagore bridge in the rural pocket of Nischindrapur when the driver of the Howrah Town-bound bus lost control after one of the front tyres burst.
The driver, according to the police, fled the scene immediately after the accident.
District police superintendent Neeraj Kumar Singh told IANS that four of those killed were bus passengers, and the fifth was the bus conductor.
“Three died on the spot, while two others succumbed (to their injuries) in a hospital,’” he said.
At least 33 of the injured, five of them in serious conditions, have been taken to hospitals in Howrah and neighbouring Kolkata, Singh said.
- Three die in Bengal road accident - Jul 07, 2011
- Three dead, 40 injured in bus accident - Sep 11, 2008
- Passenger bus overturns in southeast Kenya, killing 12 - Apr 02, 2012
- Two dead, six missing as bus falls in river in Bengal (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- 15 die as bus falls into ditch in West Bengal - Aug 29, 2010
- Eight students among 12 killed in Haryana road accident - Apr 28, 2011
- 15 killed in West Bengal accident (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Eight people killed in Jharkhand road accident - Jul 06, 2012
- Accidents kills six in Assam - May 23, 2012
- Dozen Tamil Nadu pilgrims hurt - May 10, 2012
- Nine killed in China bus-truck collision - Dec 10, 2011
- Four killed, 29 injured in Jharkhand accidents - Dec 07, 2010
- Runaway tyre kills two minor sisters - Jan 21, 2011
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Student's death: Bus driver, conductor arrested - Jun 28, 2011