Five cops hurt in protests against man’s deathDecember 22nd, 2010 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 22 (IANS) Five policemen were injured when a mob in Uttar Pradesh’s Bulandshahr district Wednesday turned violent while protesting a man’s death, officials said.The body of Sitaram, a resident of Sahar village, was Wednesday found near a liquor shop in Chatara town in the district and locals alleged that he was killed by employees of the shop. Demanding action against the employees, hundreds of locals blocked roads, targetted vehicles and attacked a police party.
The mob also held a worker of the shop captive for hours and even tried to torch the liquor shop.
“When the police team arrived at the spot to rescue the shop workers, the locals indulged in heavy brick batting that left five policemen injured,” Deputy Superintendent of Police G.K. Joshi told reporters in Bulandshahr, some 400 km from Lucknow.
The policemen who suffered multiple injuries in the attack included a station house officer and they are being treated at the district hospital.
The situation was brought under control only after personnel from various police stations reached the spot and used batons to disperse the protesters.
“The situation is still tense, but under control. Additional security has been deployed in the area. Senior police and district administration officials are camping in the area,” said Joshi.
Police said the exact reason behind Sitaram’s death would be ascertained only after the autopsy report.
- Mob injures three cops in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 25, 2011
- Villagers clash with police in Noida - Sep 10, 2012
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh after youth's death - Feb 22, 2011
- Clashes in Uttar Pradesh over principal's death - Oct 22, 2011
- Truck mows four kids, one killed in police firing - Sep 14, 2011
- Shops shut in violence-hit east Delhi area; situation under control (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Violence in Anantnag after youth run over by army vehicle (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Locals clash with police over death of worker - May 05, 2011
- Man kills woman, lynched by mob - Oct 27, 2011
- Locals clash with police over youth's death - Nov 15, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Andhra town - Mar 30, 2012
- Andhra town tense after communal violence (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Five cops hurt in protests on power cut - Nov 03, 2010
- 10 policemen injured in Uttar Pradesh mob attack - Sep 14, 2010
- Azamgarh tense after student's death in accident - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,