Five children killed in school wall collapse in OdishaJuly 9th, 2012 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 9 IANS) At least five minor children under six years of age were killed after the wall of their school collapsed Monday in Odisha’s Nayagarh district, an official said.
The mishap occurred at the Anganbadi centre in Suansia village under Ranapur police station area when eleven minor children and three adults were inside.
While three children died on the spot, two others died in the local hospital, District Collector S.K. Choudhury told IANS.
“It was an old building,” he said.
Seven children and the three adults have sustained injuries. While the two minors who received critical injuries were undergoing treatment in the hospitals, the remaining were discharged after first aid, he added.
The government has announced a compensation of Rs.1 lakh for the family of those killed. Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in Bhubaneswar said the government will bear the cost of the treatment of those injured.
The district headquarters of Nayagarh is about 90 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
- Odisha reviews safety of anganwadi buildings - Jul 11, 2012
- Odisha court admits petitions on anganwadi wall collapse - Jul 18, 2012
- Odisha activists press for anganwadi wall collapse probe - Jul 16, 2012
- Hotel fire kills three in Odisha - Aug 04, 2012
- Hooch kills 29 in Odisha, 10 held (Night Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- 11 injured in IFFCO silo collapse in Odisha - Feb 20, 2012
- Seven killed in two Bengal road accidents - May 28, 2012
- Three killed as molasses tank bursts in Odisha - Jan 23, 2012
- Three cops killed in Maoist blast (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Jagdish Tytler, others booked for Odisha rally violence - Sep 08, 2012
- Centre's charge on Maoists wrong: Patnaik - May 12, 2012
- Two killed in villagers-police clash in Orissa - Jul 15, 2011
- Hooch kills 29 in Odisha, 10 held (Fourth Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- BJD to field Dilip Tirkey for Rajya Sabha - Mar 16, 2012
- Hooch kills 26 in Odisha, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: adults, bhubaneswar, chief minister, critical injuries, district headquarters, first aid, hospitals, lakh, local hospital, mishap, odisha, police station, rs 1, six years, undergoing treatment, wall collapse