Five children die after eating Jatropha seedsNovember 4th, 2008 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 4 (IANS) Five children were killed in Uttar Pradesh’s Bijnore district after eating Jatropha seeds, mistaking them for cashew nuts, an official said Tuesday.”The children, who were playing in the fields, probably mistook Jatropha seeds for cashew nuts and ate them,” chief medical officer S.P. Singh told IANS on phone.
The incident took place in Mandwar village of Bjinore district, over 250 km from Lucknow.
“The deaths have been reported in the past 24 hours from a private hospital, where the children were admitted,” Singh said.
According to officials, the children were admitted to the hospital after they complained of severe abdominal pain, headache, dizziness and vomiting.
Jatropha is an oilseed plant. Its seeds are not edible, but produce oil that can substitute diesel.
Last week, nearly 20 children were hospitalised in Jalaun district after eating Jatropha seeds.
- 53 students taken ill after mid-day meal - Jul 16, 2011
- Six kids eat jatropha seeds, critically ill - Jan 02, 2010
- 32 kids hospitalised after eating jatropha seeds - Oct 12, 2010
- 48 students fall ill after having mid-day meal - Jul 14, 2011
- 60 children fall ill after mid-day meal - Sep 14, 2011
- 42 kids hit by food poisoning in China - Jul 08, 2011
- 82 ill after eating pork at funeral feast - Nov 03, 2010
- 30 children fall ill after eating Jatropha seeds - Sep 07, 2009
- Nuts during pregnancy can reduce asthma risk for kids - Aug 30, 2012
- Eight die in Uttar Pradesh accident - Aug 12, 2011
- 23 seriously ill after eating jatropha seeds - Oct 31, 2009
- 300 Chinese kids ill after having school lunch - Apr 10, 2012
- 70 hospitalised with food poisoning in Chhattisgarh - Feb 21, 2012
- Be nutty for good health - Apr 13, 2012
- 90 school kids hospitalised with food poisoning in China - Sep 05, 2012