Fitch maintains Brazil’s investment rating at BBBOctober 26th, 2011 - 1:50 pm ICT by IANS
Rio De Janeiro, Oct 26 (IANS) Fitch Ratings said it had decided to maintain Brazil’s BBB investment grade credit rating and predicted the outlook for the South American country would remain stable.
“Brazil’s BBB ratings are supported by its strong external liquidity buffer with foreign exchange reserves at $350.6 billion, its net sovereign external creditor status, the flexibility of its macroeconomic policy framework, and a healthy banking system,” the agency said in a report Tuesday.
Fitch said those strengths will help Brazil in a period of volatility on the world market and assist the country in counterbalancing its weaknesses in other areas, which include the “relatively high general government debt burden, limited fiscal flexibility and relatively slow pace of economic reforms”, reported Xinhua.
However, Fitch criticised the weak infrastructure and heavy tax burden in Brazil, saying these problems constrain the country’s business environment.
The Brazilian economy has slowed down this year due to tightening monetary and fiscal policies. Its economic growth in 2012 also will be somewhat compromised by external factors caused by the debt crisis in the US and euro zone.
Despite this unfavourable scenario, Brazil still has favourable medium-term growth prospects, said Fitch.
“While Brazil is likely to grow below its potential rate in 2011 and 2012, its fiscal and external credit metrics are not expected to be materially affected by the economic slowdown,” said Shelly Shetty, head of Fitch’s Latin American Sovereign Ratings.
- Fitch cuts India outlook to negative, Pranab responds (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Fitch downgrades India's rating to 'negative' - Jun 18, 2012
- Moody's retains stable outlook on India - Jun 25, 2012
- What do ratings, outlook downgrades mean? - Apr 25, 2012
- Fitch reduces Brazil's GDP growth projection - Dec 13, 2011
- Fitch cuts SBI, PNB, ICICI Bank outlook to negative (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- S&P; lowers India's outlook to negative - Apr 25, 2012
- S&P; downgrades Hungary credit rating to junk - Dec 22, 2011
- S&P; cuts Spain rating - Apr 27, 2012
- Fitch slashes British debt outlook (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- DBRS raises India's debt rating to stable - Jun 24, 2011
- India's debt rating raised to stable (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Fitch revises ratings for 11 Indian financial institutions - Jun 20, 2012
- Fitch downgrades Spain's two major banks - Jun 12, 2012
- S&P; cuts India's outlook, warns of ratings downgrade (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: bbb, brazilian economy, credit metrics, debt burden, debt crisis, economic reforms, economic slowdown, euro zone, external factors, fiscal policies, fitch ratings, foreign exchange reserves, general government, government debt, growth prospects, latin american, liquidity buffer, macroeconomic policy, slow pace, sovereign ratings