Fishermen’s killing by Italian ship crew very serious: AntonyFebruary 16th, 2012 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony Thursday described the killing of two Indian fishermen by an Italian cargo ship crew as “very serious” and said the law would take its own course against the offenders.
“This is very serious. At the same time, it is an unfortunate incident,” Antony told reporters on the sidelines of a defence event here to present the Republic Day best marching contingent awards.
He said Kerala Police and the Indian Coast Guard were investigating the shooting incident and also meeting the victims’ relatives.
“I tell you, the law will take its own course,” he said.
The defence minister said India would maintain “strict vigil” in the seas, both against piracy and against such incidents from recurring.
Armed security personnel on board the Italian cargo vessel Enrica Lexie Wednesday shot dead two Indian fishermen — one each from Kerala and Tamil Nadu — in the Arabian Sea off Kerala.
Indian Coast Guard directed the Italian vessel to anchor at Kochi harbour for further investigations and the ship complied with the direction.
The external affairs ministry summoned the Italian envoy and voiced its concern over the incident. The Italian embassy has claimed that the ship crew had fired at the fishing boat in self-defence.
- Punish the guilty in fishermen's killing: Antony - Feb 17, 2012
- Outrage as two Indians die in Italian ship firing (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2012
- Case to be registered against Italian ship crew: India - Feb 16, 2012
- Two Indian fishermen mistaken for pirates, shot dead - Feb 16, 2012
- Foreign ships plying close to Indian coast warned - Mar 13, 2012
- Fishermen's killing: Two crewmen brought ashore, Italians told to cooperate (Evening Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- No laxity, only cautious steps in Italian ship shooting: Chandy - Feb 18, 2012
- No decision on arresting Italian ship's crew: Kerala Police - Feb 17, 2012
- Fishermen's killing: India-Italy differences unresolved; court toughens stance (Night Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Italians who killed can't escape: Kerala CM (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Italian ship owners agree to cooperate in probe: Kerala Police (Night Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Italian shooting: Legal battle begins - Feb 26, 2012
- Two die in Italian ship firing, India summons envoy (Second Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Security at sea will be beefed up: Antony - Feb 26, 2012
- Weapon used to shoot Indian fishermen still on ship - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: antony, arabian sea, armed security, cargo ship, cargo vessel, defence minister, external affairs ministry, fishing boat, indian fishermen, italian embassy, italian ship, lexie, republic day, security personnel, self defence, ship crew, sidelines, strict vigil, unfortunate incident, victims relatives