Fisherman dies as boat capsizes in stormJune 16th, 2011 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 16 (IANS) A fisherman in West Bengal’s South 24-Parganas district was killed after his boat capsized in the coastal area following a storm, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said here Thursday.
“We were very concerned because around 50 trawlers went missing after the sudden storm in Kakdwip area in the district. Unfortunately, one fisherman has been killed. But locals have been able to communicate with the missing fishermen. They are in a safe shelter,” she told media persons at the state secretariat - Writers’ Buildings.
Banerjee also said that her government would give compensation to the family members of the victim and an improved disaster management system and meteorological department would be set up.
“It is imperative to have a proper warning and an effective disaster management system in place. In the context of today’s (Thursday’s) incident, we held a meeting with the chief secretary, the disaster management minister, along with officials of fisheries department, Coast Guard and decided to set up an effective disaster management system.
“The state lacks even the bare minimum infrastructure in this regard. So, we have decided that a committee of all the people concerned will meet everyday, gather information and arrange for proper warning system so as to avoid similar disasters,” said Banerjee.
- Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 23, 100 missing (Second Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize: Toll now 20 (Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy: Search operations resume - Oct 31, 2010
- Trawler tragedy toll rises to nine (Lead) - Sep 17, 2010
- Search on for three boat capsize victims in West Bengal - Sep 16, 2010
- Death toll in Bengal trawler tragedy rises to 30 - Nov 01, 2010
- One more pilgrim's body fished out from Bengal river - Sep 17, 2010
- Seven people drown in West Bengal - Sep 15, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 82 - Nov 04, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 42 (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 62 (Second Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Piece of wood helps boy survive after boat tragedy - Oct 31, 2010
- 60 Bengal fishermen still missing - Jun 18, 2011
- 18 drowned, over 50 missing in Bengal trawler capsize (Second Lead) - Oct 30, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 66 (Third Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
Tags: chief minister, chief secretary, coast guard, coastal area, disaster management system, disasters, fisheries department, fisherman, locals, mamata banerjee, media persons, meteorological department, missing fishermen, s south, secretariat, state secretariat, sudden storm, trawlers, warning system, west bengal