First wave of floods hit AssamMarch 25th, 2010 - 2:23 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, March 25 (IANS) Heavy rains have triggered flash floods in Assam Thursday, breaching a mud embankment and affecting at least 10 villages in the eastern district of Lakhimpur, officials said.
A government spokesman said floodwaters of Singora, a tributary of the Brahmaputra, entered Naoboicha area.
“There has been a breach of about 20 metres in an embankment. That led to floodwaters entering human settlements in about 10 villages,” a district official said.
This is the first wave of floods in Assam this year.
“So far there are no reports of people displaced. Measures are being taken to plug the breaches,” the official said.
“We have sounded a maximum alert and have kept disaster management teams on standby,” the official added.
The 2,906 km long Brahmaputra is one of Asia’s largest rivers. It covers its first stretch of 1,625 km in Tibet, the next 918 km in India and the remaining 363 km through Bangladesh before flowing into the Bay of Bengal.
Every year, floods in Assam leave a trail of destruction, washing away villages, submerging paddy fields and drowning livestock, besides causing loss of human life and property.
- 50,000 displaced in Assam floods - Aug 21, 2010
- Assam floods displace 50,000 people - Apr 22, 2010
- One killed, thousands displaced in Assam floods - Sep 10, 2010
- Brahmaputra crosses danger mark, Assam flood situation critical - Sep 14, 2010
- 100,000 displaced by floods in Assam, 100 villages hit - Apr 23, 2010
- Floods wreak havoc in Assam, 200,000 displaced - Jul 03, 2009
- 10 killed, thousands displaced in northeast floods - Sep 12, 2010
- One killed, 400,000 displaced in Assam floods - Jul 05, 2009
- German expert working to tame the Brahmaputra - Jun 22, 2010
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- One million hit by floods in Assam, situation critical - Sep 02, 2008
- Sixteen dead, 50,000 displaced as rains lash northeast (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2010
- First wave of floods hits Assam - May 28, 2008
- Assam flood situation grim, 2.1 million affected - Sep 07, 2008
- Flood situation critical in Assam, 385,000 people hit - Jun 17, 2008
Tags: bay of bengal, brahmaputra, breaches, disaster management, embankment, first wave, flash floods, floods in assam, government spokesman, guwahati, heavy rains, human settlements, livestock, management teams, march 25, maximum alert, mud, paddy fields, tibet, tributary