First state-run water park opens in Lonavala (With Images)May 7th, 2012 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
Lonavala (Maharashtra), May 7 (IANS) A swank, modern and affordable water park, which opened near this hill station, marks the Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation’s (MTDC) maiden foray into the amusement sector to boost tourism in the state, an official said here Monday.
The Karla Resort Water Park (KRWP), barely 25 km from Lonavala, is MTDC’s first venture into this sector after having a rich experience of water sports, houseboats, tents and tree-house vacations, snorkelling and scuba-diving options, beaches, forts and other off-beat tourist attractions.
Tourism Minister Chhagan Bhujbal, while inaugurating the KRWP here - constructed at a cost of Rs.36 million - said it would be open to all tourists and locals at extremely affordable rates.
Presently, there are around two dozen private water parks dotting the state, but mostly around Mumbai, Thane and Pune, which charge high entry fees making it virtually off-bounds for middle or lower middle classes of the population.
The KRWP encompasses the ever-popular Crazy Pool Slides, Float Slides, Multi-lane Slides, Mini-Aqua Trail, Multipurpose Water Play Systems, Water Fall, Wave Pool, Family Slides and Water Umbrellas for the tourists thronging the nearby Lonavala-Khandala twin-hill resorts round the year.
Bhujbal dismissed contentions that the water park would drain the already scarce water resources in the state and said that it would use only purified and recycled water.
“Besides, we must bear in mind that each tourist who comes to the state provides employment to 40 and 60 people directly and indirectly,” Bhujbal pointed out.
Incidentally, this is yet another major tourist attraction added to Lonavala and Khandala which boast of a cool, salubrious climate amidst stunning greenery.
The Karla Caves, Celebrity Wax Museum, the famous Bhushy Dam, lofty hills and deep valleys, lush green maidans and other places offer different avenues of relaxation for the tourists.
- Sena men shut down 'pollution tax' post at Lonavala - Jun 25, 2012
- High adrenaline adventures in Himachal's rugged trails - Jun 01, 2011
- Top Maharashtra tourist destinations to get full 'power' - Apr 27, 2012
- India's biggest manmade lake to be tourist spot - Dec 08, 2010
- Spanish flavour for 'dahi-handi' festival this year - Aug 19, 2011
- Wax statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji unveiled - Mar 03, 2011
- Penguins, seals to feature in Konkan's sea world project - Jun 02, 2011
- Aero Formula-1 air race coming to Mumbai - Aug 03, 2011
- Indian firm helps build water park in UAE - Sep 25, 2010
- New look 'Deccan Odyssey' on tracks again - Oct 12, 2011
- Kapil Dev, Bhujbal now in wax (with Images) - Nov 25, 2011
- Power for Maharashtra - tourist town gets pre-paid meters - Apr 07, 2011
- Esthell Group launches Rs 50-crore village resort in Tamil Nadu - Sep 23, 2010
- Mumbaikars head for hill stations, beaches - defying swine flu - Aug 14, 2009
- Thane schoolgirl drowns in Lonavala school pool - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,