First migrant resource centre opened at KochiDecember 15th, 2008 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Dec 15 (IANS) Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi Monday opened the country’s first ever migrant resource centre here. Inaugurating the office, Ravi said the centre would provide a helping hand to all those who are getting ready to work abroad.
“Such people can approach this office and get all the vital information regarding their job and they can clear their doubts on all aspects with regards to their employment,” said Ravi.
This centre is attached to the the emigration office here, and the minister said similar centres would be opened across the country.
Kerala now has more than two million of its people settled abroad, with close to 90 percent of them working in the Middle East. Over the years, the remittances made by them have kept the state economy afloat.
Last fiscal Kerala received Rs.245.25 billion (Rs.24,525 crore) in remittance, which is about 20 percent of the net state domestic product and 30 percent more than the state’s annual receipts.
- Kerala eyes next Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas, 2017 U-17 football - Feb 15, 2012
- Government pension scheme for Indians abroad - May 03, 2012
- Achuthanandan asks central government to help Middle East returnees - Feb 06, 2009
- Diaspora remittances 31.23 per cent in Kerala: Study - Jan 12, 2012
- Kerala readies for next round of migration study - May 25, 2012
- Kerala budget may offer sops for jobless diaspora - Feb 18, 2009
- Migration from Kerala growing steadily, shows study - Jan 13, 2012
- Ravi stresses on effective mechanism for benefit of migrant workers - Apr 20, 2011
- Kerala diaspora can partner in development: Minister - Feb 14, 2012
- Chandy blames Air India for high fares to Middle East - Oct 03, 2011
- Muslim migration up in Kerala, Christians lose (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Vijayan flays Planning Commission for failure to aid Kerala diaspora - Feb 05, 2009
- Row breaks out over Kochi Metro Rail project - Jan 02, 2012
- Put service tax on NRI remittances on hold: Tharoor - Jun 27, 2012
- Demand for Indian domestic workers abroad: Ravi - May 02, 2012