First Indian woman ambassador nominated to QatarMarch 11th, 2008 - 8:09 pm ICT by admin
By Surender Bhutani
Doha, March 11 (IANS) India has for the first time nominated a woman ambassador to any Gulf state. Deepa Gopalan Wadhwa, currently India’s Ambassador to Sweden, has been appointed ambassador to the Gulf state of Qatar. The Gulf states have so far been accepting only men as ambassadors. However, with the changing times and change in the profile of the Gulf states, particularly Qatar, the status of women in the Gulf society has undergone a transformation.
Barring Saudi Arabia, the rest of the Gulf states are modernising at a rapid speed and the share of the women employees has increased manifold.
Qatar has a sizeable Indian population of almost 300,000, including some illegal immigrants. A big majority of Indians hails from the state of Kerala.
Gopalan Wadhwa is from Kerala and speaks fluent Malayalam despite being educated in north India.
She belongs to the 1979 batch of the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and has served in Beijing, The Hague and Geneva. She has also worked for the International Labour Organization (ILO), where she was in charge of the UN division.
Incidentally, her husband Anil Wadhwa is at present Indian ambassador to Oman.
“The posting to Doha is a very challenging job. To protect the interests of the Indian community will be my priority apart from strengthening the friendly relations between India and Qatar,” Gopalan Wadhwa told IANS over telephone.
She is likely to join her new assignment in August or September after completing her term in Sweden.
- Indian painter to showcase work in Oman - Apr 04, 2011
- 2,500 Indians sent to deportation center in 2010, says Indian embassy in Doha - Feb 28, 2011
- India, Qatar to hold talks: Oil, Taliban on agenda - Apr 04, 2012
- 'Overseas Indians can enroll names in voters list online' - Feb 21, 2011
- Actor Madhu To Inaugurate Cinefest 2010 Opening At Gulf Cinema - Jun 11, 2010
- Indian poet honoured in Oman - Apr 18, 2010
- Indian embassy begins NRI registrations in Oman - Feb 24, 2011
- Ritu Beri, Pankaj Udhas to take part in Spirit of India in Oman event in Muscat - Jan 17, 2011
- 4,000 Indians who overstayed in Oman finally leave - Apr 17, 2010
- Usha Uthup to perform at charity event in Muscat - Apr 14, 2011
- India asks Qatar for additional 3 mn tonnes of gas - Apr 23, 2012
- Indian embassy in Oman to take up labour harassment issues with ministry - May 01, 2011
- M.F. Husain surrenders Indian passport in Qatar - Mar 08, 2010
- India, Qatar deepen energy ties, seek to promote investments (News Analysis) - Apr 13, 2012
- Bhagavad Gita now in Polish language - Mar 25, 2012