First golf course rating seminar held in IndiaAugust 27th, 2011 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Aug 27 (IANS) The United States Golf Association (USGA), in collaboration with the Indian Golf Union (IGU), conducted a path-breaking course and slope rating seminar at the Bangalore Golf club here Aug 23-25.
It was the first such seminar held in India and was conducted by Eric Lahman, manager of course rating and handicapping for the USGA. The idea of such a seminar, which was cleared by about 32 participants, was to have a uniform handicapping system in India and also solve the portability of handicaps by golfers, especially which they play on different courses in different countries.
A golf handicap is a numerical measure of a golfer’s playing ability. It is used to calculate a net score from the number of strokes actually played. This allows players of different abilities to play each other on equal terms. A rating is arrived at after looking at five effective playing length factors and another 10 obstacle factors, including psychological obstacles.
The educative programme is a first for the Indian golfing fraternity. Currently, India has very few trained people to carry out course and slope ratings of golf courses.
The USGA course rating system was first established in 1911, exactly 100 years ago.
Lahman, who conducts these programmes regularly in the US and elsewhere, said, “I look forward to another visit in the near future after the participants would have got some experience under the IGU to carry out course rating of some of the golf courses in India. It was a terrific effort from BGC and IGU.”
Hari Achanta, one of few certified raters in the country, also attended the course, and remarked, “The course was of immense benefit and I was able to refresh and refine my understanding of the process.”
- Top amateurs for golf festival - Sep 05, 2012
- Top juniors for IGU golf - May 25, 2012
- Indian Open golf moves to Bangalore - Aug 21, 2012
- Poddar tops in Golf festival - Sep 09, 2012
- Karnataka golf: Khalin Joshi fires 70 - Sep 06, 2012
- India's junior golfers eyeing for berths in Faldo Series Asia - Sep 26, 2011
- Toyota golf: Nair tops with 31 points - Sep 07, 2012
- Abhishek Kuhar, Manu share lead in USHA-IGU juniors events - Apr 10, 2012
- Abhishek shares lead with Piyush in Usha Karnataka juniors - May 23, 2012
- Chandra, Sangwan in lead - May 29, 2012
- Sardar putts 72 to take lead in junior golf meet - May 30, 2012
- Vani takes first round lead at Usha Western India Ladies Open - Oct 11, 2011
- David for Edinburgh Cup golf - Sep 10, 2012
- Arjun Singh ahead in Toyota-IGU Southern India junior golf - Jun 01, 2012
- Golf fast catching up with cricket in popularity (With image) - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: bgc, educative, first golf, golf course rating, golf handicap, golf union, golfers, handicaps, immense benefit, india bangalore, lahman, numerical measure, psychological obstacles, raters, slope rating, slope ratings, states golf association, united states golf, united states golf association, usga course