First centre for cross-LoC Kashmir trade readyOctober 17th, 2008 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 17 (IANS) The first trade centre near the Line of Control (LOC) in Poonch in Jammu and Kashmir is ready for biweekly trade with Pakistan from Oct 21. It is scheduled to be thrown open on the Indian side by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee.The first phase of the centre at Rangar in Poonch comprises sheds for off-loading cargo vehicles from Pakistan, scanning and customs units. “We will go in for dummy checks of all these on Saturday and Sunday,” government officials in Poonch said.
Cross-border trade on the Poonch-Rawalkot route was to start Oct 28, but now it is to begin earlier - on Oct 21, along with the Uri-Muzaffarabad route. Deputy Commissioner of Poonch Mohammad Afzal Bhat told IANS over phone, “Security is our prime concern.”
The Rangar trade centre has been built at Rs.40 million.
With the installation of security and scanning equipment still to take some time, the police plan to do “thorough physical checking” and will use over a dozen sniffer dogs for the purpose. The administration plans to set up dog kennels at the Rangar Trade Center. “We have to pamper these dogs as the entire security would depend on them initially,” said the official in a lighter vein.
The Deputy Commissioner said that initially the trade would be a bi-weekly affair. The trucks from Rawalakot in Pakistan side would come up to the Rangar Nallah trade centre and off load the goods there. “The frequency of trade will be reviewed later depending on the demand from either side,” he said.
India and Pakistan have agreed to begin cross-LoC trade in Jammu and Kashmir from Oct 21 when trucks will start moving on the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad route. A week later, on Oct 28 lorries will begin rolling between Poonch in Jammu and Rawlakote in Pakistani Kashmir.
The move was announced in the New York meeting between Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last month.
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- Cross LoC trade hampered by barter system, lack of banking (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- First trade consignment across Kashmir border would be 'gifts' - Oct 18, 2008
- Cross-Kashmir trade mired in problems - Dec 04, 2011
- Indo-Pak cross-border trade affected after bridge collapse in Kashmir - Jul 31, 2010
- Central team reviews progress of LoC trade terminal - Oct 16, 2008
- India, Pakistan open Cross-LoC trade after 60 years - Oct 21, 2008
- Readying for trans-LoC trade at Poonch - Sep 28, 2008
- Cross-LOC trade declining on Poonch route - Aug 27, 2012
- Indo-Pak trade resumes on Poonch- Rawlakote route - Jun 12, 2009
- 60 years after 1948 war, India-Pakistan on trade highway to peace (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2008
- Goodwill cargo of fruits, vegetables kicks off Poonch-Rawlakote trade - Oct 21, 2008
- Cross-LoC trade needs financial mechanisms: Omar - Apr 04, 2012
- LoC truck service between India, Pak to start from Oct 21 - Sep 27, 2008
- Kashmiris threaten to suspend border trade with Pakistan - Jan 19, 2010