Fireworks as reports say Sukma collector releasedMay 3rd, 2012 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 3 (IANS) Celebrations began at the Sukma district collector’s residence Thursday afternoon as reports said that Alex Paul Menon had been released by the Maoists after 12 days of captivity.
While officials refused to confirm if Menon, who was abducted from a forested area in restive Bastar region April 21, was released, his supporters and friends had begun to burst firecrackers in celebration.
His father A. Varadhas, based in Tamil Nadu’s Tirunelveli, thanked the Chhattisgarh government and the mediators and rebels for releasing his son. Speaking to reporters, he urged the rebels not to resort to abductions again.
According to reports, the rebels handed over the 31-year-old collector to their mediators - Professor G. Hargopal and B.D. Sharma - somewhere at the edge of their landmine protected hideout, located more than 500 km south of state capital Raipur.
- Confusion over release of Sukma collector (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Maoists free Menon, says ready to serve in Sukma again (Second Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Maoists finally free a fatigued Menon (Roundup) - May 03, 2012
- Maoists to release abducted collector Thursday - May 03, 2012
- Abducted Chhattisgarh district collector's release likely - Apr 30, 2012
- Maoists' mediators reach Raipur - Apr 26, 2012
- Maoists' mediators sum up talks as rebels hike demands (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Mediators resume talks for release of Sukma collector - Apr 30, 2012
- Maoists to release Menon Thursday - May 02, 2012
- Sukma collector safe, say mediators after meeting Maoists - Apr 29, 2012
- Two kidnappings: Maoists release MLA, hold on to collector (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2012
- 'Abducted collector Menon is safe' - Apr 26, 2012
- Collector's abduction: Mediators meet fail to break deadlock (Lead) - Apr 29, 2012
- Menon freed, says willing to serve in Sukma again (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Abducted collector: Maoists' mediators fly to Bastar - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: abducted, alex, captivity, celebration, celebrations, chhattisgarh government, firecrackers, fireworks, forested area, hideout, maoists, mediators, menon, rebels, tamil nadu, thursday afternoon, tirunelveli