Fire shuts down Channel Tunnel between Britain, FranceSeptember 12th, 2008 - 12:07 am ICT by IANS
London, Sep 11 (DPA) A serious fire on a freight lorry Thursday shut down the Channel Tunnel link between Britain and France, leaving thousands of travellers stranded but injuring no one, operators Eurotunnel said.Eurotunnel officials in France said 32 lorry drivers had been evacuated from the freight shuttle link following a fire on a lorry some 10 km from the French entrance to the tunnel at Calais.
“All the train drivers are safe. No one is at risk, no customers are at risk,” a spokeswoman for Eurotunnel said.
Services are expected to be closed for several days.
As a knock-on effect, thousands of rail passengers on the Eurostar train network linking London to Paris and Brussels were stranded Thursday.
A Eurostar spokesman said there were no passengers trains in the tunnel at the time of the incident, and the trains were returning to their nearest station.
Each Eurostar train carries more than 700 passengers. The passenger trains travel on the same track.
The fire on the freight lorry broke out at around 1400 GMT Thursday on a freight lorry travelling from Folkestone, in Britain, to Calais.
Both French and British fire crews were dispatched to the incident.
Safety procedures in the tunnel, which was inaugurated in 1994, were reviewed after a serious fire on a freight train in November, 1996.
- Channel Tunnel to get mobile phone coverage - Mar 03, 2012
- Fire forces the Eurotunnel to shut down - Sep 11, 2008
- Giant Olympic Rings unveiled at Channel Tunnel - Dec 21, 2011
- Heavy snow disrupts Britons' travel plans - Dec 02, 2010
- Travel travails continue for snow-hit Europe - Dec 21, 2010
- Snow disrupts travel across Europe, hits economy (Third Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Eurostar nightmare ends as first train in days leaves Paris - Dec 22, 2009
- Fire in the Eurotunnel shuts down all services - Sep 11, 2008
- European holiday makers' plans hit by heavy snowfall (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- European economy gets hit by massive snowfall (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Three Illegal Immigrants Nabbed By Authorities In Chemical Lorry - Sep 04, 2010
- Five die in Pakistan train collision - Aug 30, 2011
- Two killed in Taiwan road accident - May 08, 2012
- Trucker whose texting caused woman's death jailed - Dec 12, 2011
- Train passengers stranded by Assam floods being rescued - Jun 28, 2012