Fire in Uttar Pradesh hotel, no casualtySeptember 29th, 2011 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
Meerut, Sep 29 (IANS) Goods worth several lakhs were gutted in a fire that broke out in a hotel in Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut city Thursday, triggering panic in a busy commercial area. No casualty was reported in the incident.
The fire, suspected to have erupted following an electric short-circuit in a room of the Green Hotel in Sadar area, engulfed the ground floor of the hotel, gutting furniture, electrical equipment and other items.
“Timely intervention by the fire fighters controlled the blaze from spreading to other commercial establishments, which otherwise could have resulted in major tragedy,” police Inspector Ram Teerath told reporters in Meerut, some 450 km from Lucknow.
“At the time of the incident, several customers were present inside the hotel that was evacuated in a joint exercise conducted with the firefighters. The situation is now under control,” he added.