Fire in closed Jharkhand mine poses threat to 400 familiesSeptember 9th, 2008 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Sep 9 (IANS) A fire raging in a closed mine of the Bharat Coking Coal Limited (BCCL) in Dhanbad district of Jharkhand is threatening to damage the homes of the nearly 400 families that live nearby as well as the Dhanbad-Bokaro national highway.The fire erupted Sunday night in seam number 15 of Godhar colliery of BCCL, about 240 km from here. Smoke continued to come up from the mine Tuesday as officials struggled to put out the flames.
“It may take a week to extinguish the fire. We are using sand and water to douse the flames. We are trying to ascertain the radius of the fire so that it can be stopped from spreading,” a BCCL official told IANS.
Locals, who were worried that their houses would be destroyed if the fire spread further, claimed the negligence of BCCL officials had caused the problem.
They said coke extracted from mines nearby had caught fire and was dumped in the Godhar colliery. The fire soon engulfed the entire mine, which is just 300 metres away from the Dhanbad-Bokaro national highway.
“It is criminal negligence on the part of the coal company authorities. The coke should not have been dumped there. Stern action should be taken against officials involved in the act,” said Pinaki Roy, a social activist who is also fighting against the displacement of people from areas where fires are raging in coal mines.
The Godhra mine is 30 km away from the Jharia coal field where underground mine fires have been raging for years.
- Rs.100 crore seized from accounts of contractor, kin - Nov 24, 2011
- Mining, railways hit hard in Jharkhand due to power failure - Jul 31, 2012
- Underground mine fire now threatens Jharkhand rail lines - Aug 28, 2009
- Boy of 13 beaten to death for coal theft in Jharkhand - Oct 07, 2011
- Mine fire threatened Jharia will vote for rehabilitation - Nov 23, 2009
- Three killed in Jharkhand police firing (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Five injured in mine blast in Jharkhand - May 14, 2009
- Jharkhand mine floods, one killed (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Miners trapped in Jharkhand - Aug 28, 2012
- Four killed in Jharkhand police firing, curfew imposed (Third Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Coal giant looks at huge losses amid closure orders - Aug 24, 2011
- Three die in Jharkhand mine collapse - May 26, 2012
- Three illegal coal miners die in Jharkhand - Aug 13, 2010
- Underground mine fires mar marriage prospects in Jharkhand town - Jun 24, 2008
- Two killed in Jharkhand police firing (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Apr 27, 2011