Fire in Chennai supermarket, no loss of life

September 1st, 2008 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS  

Chennai, Sep 1 (IANS) A supermarket in Chennai’s main shopping district T. Nagar was engulfed in a fire that broke out early Monday. Three floors of the supermarket were ablaze in the fire that started at 5.30 a.m., eyewitnesses said, as fire service personnel battled for hours to bring the flames under control.

Though there was no loss of life, the safety of at least 15 firemen was in doubt, officials here said.

There was no danger to other buildings and their goods, officials said. Seven fire tenders have been pressed into operation.

“The stench from acrid smoke generated by burning artificial leather sofas and plastic furniture is nauseating,” said N. Parasuraman, who had come to shop at the mart known for bargain prices.

A spokesperson of the store claimed that an electric short circuit caused the fire that was noticed almost an hour after it broke. Goods from other floors in the seven-storeyed building were evacuated.

“The fire began in the furniture department and spread to at least three other floors with similar goods,” the spokesperson added.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe