Fire in central Delhi building, no casualty (Second Lead)May 23rd, 2012 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) A fire broke out in the Punjab National Bank building in central Delhi’s Patel Chowk area Wednesday evening and fire fighters managed to douse it after an over two-hour effort, police said. There was no casualty.
A fire service official said the blaze was reported at 4.41 p.m. in the head office of the Punjab National Bank located near Akashvani Bhavan and Nirvachan Sadan. It was put out around 7 p.m.
There were over 250 people inside the four-storey building at the time of the incident.
“There was no casualty. One person was injured during the evacuation. There were more than 250 people inside the four-storey building,” said a fire brigade official.
The exact cause of fire was not known but the official said they were inquiring if it started from an electrical spark.
“Around 25 fire tenders were rushed to the spot,” said the official.
There were conflicting reports about where the fire broke out. Some people in the building claimed that the blaze started from the basement while others said it spread from the ground floor.
“I heard a blast near my cabin on the ground floor. When I, along with my colleagues, came out, fire had engulfed an air-conditioner,” said Dipika, who works in the building.
Fire fighters, using ladders, evacuated all the people who climbed to the fourth floor of the building to get away from the smoke.
- Fire in central Delhi building (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Pune mall catches fire, 15 rescued - Jun 21, 2012
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- Major fire at multi-storied building in South Kolkata - Mar 29, 2012
- Major fire on 10th floor of South Kolkata building (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- 14 rescued from Mumbai building fire (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Efforts still on to douse fire at Delhi's Chandni Chawk (Second Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- 15 die in China factory fire - Aug 23, 2011
- Chandni Chowk fire extinguished, four hurt (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Four injured fighting blaze in Delhi's Chandni Chowk (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Fire rages at Chandni Chowk warehouse - Nov 29, 2010
- 13 killed in Karachi factory fire - Sep 12, 2012
- Five trapped in Mumbai fire - Aug 09, 2012
- Woman killed in Delhi factory fire - Jan 26, 2011
- Fire at Indian embassy in Myanmar - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,