Fire in Andhra Pradesh secretariat, employees rescuedMay 7th, 2009 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 7 (IANS) A massive fire broke out Thursday in one of the office blocks at Andhra Pradesh state secretariat, the seat of governance, here. No loss of life was reported but office records and furniture were gutted, police said.
Dozens of employees working in the building were rescued by the fire-fighting personnel through windows.
Police said fire broke out around 2.30 p.m. on the second floor of ‘D’ block and soon engulfed the entire second floor. Several employees working in different departments were trapped inside and the fire-fighting personnel and police had a tough time in rescuing them.
As the electricity supply was cut off immediately after the mishap, some employees getting down through a lift were also trapped. They were rescued by the fire-fighting personnel.
Four fire tenders, which rushed to the scene, were still battling the flames about an hour and a half after the fire broke out. Policemen broke windows to rescue the trapped employees by ladders.
The cause of the fire is not clear but some employees said short circuiting led to the mishap.
The fire, which destroyed records of finance, information technology and forest departments, once again exposed the poor fire fighting mechanism in the key government buildings in the city.
Minor fire mishaps were reported from other office blocks in recent months. The ‘D’ block was constructed recently and is equipped with best infrastructure.
- Two killed, 16 injured in Mantralaya fire (Intro Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 22, 2012
- 16 injured in Mantralaya fire, blaze under control (Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 21, 2012
- 16 injured as Mantralaya fire rages, all rescued (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Dozens trapped in burning Mantralaya, navy called (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fire - May 15, 2012
- Mantralaya fire continues second day - Jun 22, 2012
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- Fire in finance ministry office, no casualties - Jun 07, 2012
- 14 rescued from Mumbai building fire (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Karachi factory had several emergency exits, all locked - Sep 13, 2012
- Fire guts Meerut factory, sports goods destroyed - Feb 12, 2011
- Two killed in fire at Andhra pharma factory - Dec 19, 2011
- 135 die as flames engulf two factories in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Inferno in Kolkata's Park Street kills six, injures 20 (Roundup) - Mar 23, 2010
- Major fire in Meerut market, no casualty - May 02, 2011